Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I Ordered New Wheels Today...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love matte bronze wheels on black cars. I would expect it would look even cooler on a jeep. I cant wait to see it completed
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to shipment:

They arrived Thursday, but I have been traveling for work. Here are two pictures of one of them, taken a few moments ago:

In direct light they do look like a dull, possibly slightly tarnished, gold. I didn't want to go with a dark matte bronze (causing them to look black), I didn't want blank-blang gold either. I think these fit right in between the two. Either way, they're different... and we all know that there is a lot of repetition in the modification community.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! those are sweet.

Are you any closer to picking out a tire?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by higgins14
wow! those are sweet.

Are you any closer to picking out a tire?
Not really... I still want to get the DuraTracs but I know that as much as I have been thinking of buying them, something else will possibly sway my decision (typically it's a cost decision). The other tires that creep into the picture are the MT/R Kevlars and I started researching the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71's. I won't have the time to get everything installed until my travel schedule dies down in mid-December... and even then I only have two weeks to spare before I head out of town through mid-February. At this point I am just ordering and collecting parts until I have the time to do the work. It's kind of sad, really.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Not really... I still want to get the DuraTracs but I know that as much as I have been thinking of buying them, something else will possibly sway my decision (typically it's a cost decision). The other tires that creep into the picture are the MT/R Kevlars and I started researching the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71's. I won't have the time to get everything installed until my travel schedule dies down in mid-December... and even then I only have two weeks to spare before I head out of town through mid-February. At this point I am just ordering and collecting parts until I have the time to do the work. It's kind of sad, really.
well... at least you won't have to wait for parts when you are finally ready to put your jeep together.

If i can sell my half doors soon, i will be getting duratracs. if not, i will probably wait a few years for my gs/a's to wear out. realistically, i am not doing any crazy off roading anytime soon. i have seen a few sets of rubicon mud terrains pop up on craigs list for pretty cheap, but i really think the duratrac would be a better tire for me and my driving habits.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by higgins14
well... at least you won't have to wait for parts when you are finally ready to put your jeep together.

If i can sell my half doors soon, i will be getting duratracs. if not, i will probably wait a few years for my gs/a's to wear out. realistically, i am not doing any crazy off roading anytime soon. i have seen a few sets of rubicon mud terrains pop up on craigs list for pretty cheap, but i really think the duratrac would be a better tire for me and my driving habits.
The bonus is not having to wait on parts, yes, but there is the element of knowing the parts are here and I don't have the time to do the wrench work. Being home for only 32-36 hours a week(end) is a genuine pain in the ass. I won't be doing anything off road until the spring (save for the snow I will have to drive through for my winter vacation), so there is no real rush to get the work done except to appease my own laurels.

The DuraTracs really are a "perfect" tire when you consider functionality and aesthetics. There are better functioning tires, there are better looking tires, but in a world where the two ideas seem to be mutually exclusive when you consider pricing... the DuraTracs seem to have the best blend. At the rate I am going, I will only have 6000 miles on the (current) SR-A's when I move to the new tires/wheels -- seems like I am wasting decent-enough tires and makes me want to wait to upgrade. :face palm:

I hope you move the doors soon, it would be nice to see you in DuraTracs. Even the MT's from the Rubicon would be an upgrade.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, at those wheels. Great choice!

Secondly, collecting parts and putting them all on at once isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like the whole concept of driving one Jeep on a Friday, install everything over the weekend, and drive an entirely new Jeep on Monday. When I finally have the money to go big, I am going to stock pile everything and do a complete transformation.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice wheels, bet they will look great when all is said and done!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer

The DuraTracs really are a "perfect" tire when you consider functionality and aesthetics. There are better functioning tires, there are better looking tires, but in a world where the two ideas seem to be mutually exclusive when you consider pricing... the DuraTracs seem to have the best blend. At the rate I am going, I will only have 6000 miles on the (current) SR-A's when I move to the new tires/wheels -- seems like I am wasting decent-enough tires and makes me want to wait to upgrade. :face palm:

I hope you move the doors soon, it would be nice to see you in DuraTracs. Even the MT's from the Rubicon would be an upgrade.
i couldn't agree with you more about the duratracs. if i were to spend $500 on some rubicon bfgs, i think i would regret it. i had them on my old cj7 back in the day, so i know what to expect. they will look a hell of a lot cooler than my gs/a's but they are not the tire i want to have on my jeep for 50,000 miles. the duratracs are lighter and (more important to me) better in the snow and rain than the bfg. i need to rely on my tires to have predictable road characteristics in crappy weather. the mts are not the tires i trust to keep me or my family safe. I like the siping of the duratracs and the snow rating. i had the bfg at's on my old tj. i liked them, but when the time comes for new tires, the duratracs are calling my name.

i spend $1,400-$1,500 a month on daycare for my son... pretty much the same amount it would take to get new tires when he (and my future son/daughter) are out of daycare, i am going to feel like i am rich until it is time to pay for college.

In an earlier post, you were wondering if the three different colors on the wheels would look right. Is there any chance you can get the beadlock hardware anodized/plated/coated flat black? I wonder if the hardware would look good in bronze...

can you edit your thread title? i think that lots of guys/girls here on the forum would love to see your wheels... the title doesn't suggest that you are going to be running some custom coated walker evans beadlocks. if i didn't recognize your username from ot, i would have passed right over this thread.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wow!! I was a bit skeptical of the color combo when you first posted, but I REALLY like it!! Please keep us updated w/ pics when they finally get mounted!!

Quick Reply: I Ordered New Wheels Today...