Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I hit a pole

Old 10-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Please read post number 2 in this thread. Good suggestions on how to do this repair. And it's Sheet Molding Compound--SMC--an advanced form of Fiberglas with some special requirements for repair.

Cracked Hard Top Repairable?
Thanks a ton Mark I bookmarked it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Junkie

So much for the lousy plastic bumper, judging by the area around the license plate it doesn't look like it did anything.

If you can in fact repair the hard top as described above, your costs should be minimal beyond replacing the rear glass.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKid
Backed up into a 6" steel pole filled with cement up in Tehachapi last weekend. I was making a U-turn like I've done a good 20-30 times in the 2 years we've been goin to Tehachapi Mtn Park and the pole was right in my blind spot. :/ Here's some pics. We'll be fixin up the fiberglass this weekend. Just replaced the windshield today.

lol I lost the picture of the pole, but I't looked like this. The platform was to hold the gate.
Ouch.... Looks like you got some work ahead of you. Good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi

sorry to hear about that buddy.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Ty did you get your top repaired yet. If not two products we use at work for SMC are FIBERTECH by Evercoat and 8272 adhesive by 3M. FIBERTECH is body filler that is quite strong and can be used to fill holes. Like the one in your top. 8272 is a adhesive that is used to glue body panels together. You can work the 8272 into the fibers of the damaged area and glue the piece that got pushed through back in.

Looking at your top i would use the FIBERTECH.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

ouch, that sucks
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by castor07jk
Ty did you get your top repaired yet. If not two products we use at work for SMC are FIBERTECH by Evercoat and 8272 adhesive by 3M. FIBERTECH is body filler that is quite strong and can be used to fill holes. Like the one in your top. 8272 is a adhesive that is used to glue body panels together. You can work the 8272 into the fibers of the damaged area and glue the piece that got pushed through back in.

Looking at your top i would use the FIBERTECH.
thanks a ton. I didn't know where to start looking or what to start looking for. What do you think it would cost for me and my dad to fix the hole on our own?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be sure to document the repair of the top if you can! I know I can see having to do this in the future at some point, and I would like to see how it is done.

I used to do a lot of fiberglass work on surfboards and would be interested to see how SMC is to work with.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by wesley8808
Be sure to document the repair of the top if you can! I know I can see having to do this in the future at some point, and I would like to see how it is done.

I used to do a lot of fiberglass work on surfboards and would be interested to see how SMC is to work with.
of course lol I really doubt I'll be the last to do damage to a hardtop on the forums
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
JK Freak

Ty,
You guys should be able to do the repair. The trick is to match the texture of the top. As far as cost the FiberTech is about $35-$40. You will need some thing along the lines of MetalGlaze (what we us) to fill in the pin holes that will be in the FiberTech. Here are a couple of links.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=13
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=1

Quick Reply: I hit a pole