Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I was finally settles with how she looked and BAM

Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH!!! That must've been quite a hit to snap things the way it did. Glad you're ok. x2 on not having to deal with USAA - the other person was cited and her insurance should be taking care of getting everything fixed. From the looks of the impact, I wouldn't be surprised if there could've been some frame damage sustained - in one of the pictures, it looks like the whole axle has shifted towards the driver side.

Keep us posted on how things go.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if that driver told her insurance company "My gas pedal must of got stuck"
Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about your luck man, hopefully everything goes well with her insurance. What service are you in to have USAA, I have had them 7 years and they are great. I have insurance, checking, savings, CD, and American Express with them. They make everything easy for military members.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get an inflated estimate from the body shop, mopar parts are usually more expensive than aftermarket.
Take the insurance check and do the work yourself (unless there is frame damage of course).
Buy a Dynatrac Pro-Rock and you'll be all set.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Get an inflated estimate from the body shop, mopar parts are usually more expensive than aftermarket.
Take the insurance check and do the work yourself (unless there is frame damage of course).
Buy a Dynatrac Pro-Rock and you'll be all set.
There is frame damage. You can see it. Front tweaked to drivers side. Insurance prob total it. I had a wreck like this too. Needs more then they will want to put into it.

Parts it will prob need from photos. Fender, Hood Maybe, Grille, Core support, Inner Fender, Flare, Wheel, Tire, Shocks, Springs, All Control Arms, Track Bar, Sway Bar and Links, Axel with brakes, Drive shaft, Steering box, Steering linkage, Under Hood Harness, Air Bag Sensors, Mid pipe for exhaust, Wheel Sensors, About 3-4 Days on a fram Machine. An any bolt or nut that was bent or damaded during the wreck. An a lot of luck to get it to drive stright down the road and not dog track.

Id say in the ball park of 8-10k in repairs on low side. Mine was 4k for only skins damaged on mine. And all in all ended up being around 7k after my axel went. Drunk driver hit mine.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd be worried about alignment and steering issues if the shop doesn't know what they're doing.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

One thing you might not be aware of is diminished value. I had a bmw that got t-boned (other drivers fault) two weeks after I drove it off the lot. Other driver's insurance picked up the tab (Liberty Mutual) for the repairs. Repairs were done great and I was happy. While my car was in the shop, I was bored at work one night and I googled some accident stuff and stumbled upon diminished value and how it will affect your trade in value. I figured what the hell and decided to pursue it with the other persons insurance. Basically, what it is... as a victim in that accident, you have the right to be made "whole" again. Sure your repairs will be made, no problem... but what happens when you go to trade your vehicle for example. The dealer is going to play that Carfax angle on you and seriously lowball your trade, especially if you have frame damage reported. I wrote the insurance company a nice letter explaining that concept (based on my internet research) and told them they would need to compensate me for diminished value in addition to my standard repairs. I asked for some ridiculous figure up front like 8,000 dollars. The insurance company responded, but gave me the old "yeah.... NO" response. They offered me 252 dollars in diminished value. I countered and threw that yeah, no.. back at them. Since I didn't need the money because repairs were already being taken care of, I said to myself.. I can do this all day with them. They sent out some pro to take pictures and stuff, and a few weeks later came back with an offer of 400 and some change. I kept rejecting and making my point that I was going to eat a loss if I ever traded my vehicle in and they are obligated to make me "whole" again, since I was not at fault. Anyway... long story short, after about 2 months of rejecting their pitiful offers, they finally offered me 3400.00 to settle. A far cry from the 252 they started with. Anyway, that was great... money in my pocket! Turns out that when I actually did trade my BMW in January of this year for my Jeep, the dealer sho nuff pulled out that stupid CarFax report and tried to take a ton of money off my trade. Too bad for me I had long since spent up all of the free money! I had to battle with that dealer forever to come up with a fair deal!

On the same topic (and my 2 cent opinion), CarFax is crap. If you are in an accident and take your car to a "reputable" repair shop where you know the repairs will be done right, that repair will show up on carfax. On the other hand, if a car is repaired at a less than "reputable" repair shop, that repair typically won't be reported. So by having your repairs done right, it will ultimately cost you down the road because of the Carfax report vs. repairs that were never reported and probably done on the cheap. Gotta love it.

Last edited by bwickett; 04-13-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwickett
One thing you might not be aware of is diminished value. I had a bmw that got t-boned (other drivers fault) two weeks after I drove it off the lot. Other driver's insurance picked up the tab (Liberty Mutual) for the repairs. Repairs were done great and I was happy. While my car was in the shop, I was bored at work one night and I googled some accident stuff and stumbled upon diminished value and how it will affect your trade in value. I figured what the hell and decided to pursue it with the other persons insurance. Basically, what it is... as a victim in that accident, you have the right to be made "whole" again. Sure your repairs will be made, no problem... but what happens when you go to trade your vehicle for example. The dealer is going to play that Carfax angle on you and seriously lowball your trade, especially if you have frame damage reported. I wrote the insurance company a nice letter explaining that concept (based on my internet research) and told them they would need to compensate me for diminished value in addition to my standard repairs. I asked for some ridiculous figure up front like 8,000 dollars. The insurance company responded, but gave me the old "yeah.... NO" response. They offered me 252 dollars in diminished value. I countered and threw that yeah, no.. back at them. Since I didn't need the money because repairs were already being taken care of, I said to myself.. I can do this all day with them. They sent out some pro to take pictures and stuff, and a few weeks later came back with an offer of 400 and some change. I kept rejecting and making my point that I was going to eat a loss if I ever traded my vehicle in and they are obligated to make me "whole" again, since I was not at fault. Anyway... long story short, after about 2 months of rejecting their pitiful offers, they finally offered me 3400.00 to settle. A far cry from the 252 they started with. Anyway, that was great... money in my pocket! Turns out that when I actually did trade my BMW in January of this year for my Jeep, the dealer sho nuff pulled out that stupid CarFax report and tried to take a ton of money off my trade. Too bad for me I had long since spent up all of the free money! I had to battle with that dealer forever to come up with a fair deal!

On the same topic (and my 2 cent opinion), CarFax is crap. If you are in an accident and take your car to a "reputable" repair shop where you know the repairs will be done right, that repair will show up on carfax. On the other hand, if a car is repaired at a less than "reputable" repair shop, that repair typically won't be reported. So by having your repairs done right, it will ultimately cost you down the road because of the Carfax report vs. repairs that were never reported and probably done on the cheap. Gotta love it.
Good point on dimenished value. Still waiting on initial estimate. Will post updates
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey mikey.... One thing i forgot to mention over on Nova .... When I got hit by that drunk driver I had the Jeep looked at over at Northern Virginia Body shop off 29 by Farrish jeep ( not associated with them cause I hate Farrish) and they seemed to be pretty good about dealing with the Jeep. Seemed to know what they were talking about and seemed easy to work with....... May give them a look and see what they have to say.......

Just a thought....... Hope all goes good with it....... Who was her insurance thru?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ramphog
Hey mikey.... One thing i forgot to mention over on Nova .... When I got hit by that drunk driver I had the Jeep looked at over at Northern Virginia Body shop off 29 by Farrish jeep ( not associated with them cause I hate Farrish) and they seemed to be pretty good about dealing with the Jeep. Seemed to know what they were talking about and seemed easy to work with....... May give them a look and see what they have to say.......

Just a thought....... Hope all goes good with it....... Who was her insurance thru?
I will keep that in mind once I get the initial estimate. She has State Farm, and i have yet to hear from them. Will be calling them at lunch

Quick Reply: I was finally settles with how she looked and BAM