Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hydraulic winch mod. With non p.s pump

Old 12-12-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic winch mod. With non p.s pump

I looking to use a HD winch with a belt driven pump with a magnetic clutch.That increase the line speed with load.Maybe 6 to 9 gal. p/m and 2500 psi and pull 12,000 lbs
Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

not to be rude but is that a question or a statement
Old 12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

that's great...awesome idea......sooooo
Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he is asking which pump to use?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

you planning to use a snatch block with it too? Just asking since that can effectively double your winch's capabilities to pull.
Yes, I know you didn't ask that. I merely mention it in case you hadn't considered it.
As for a pump...I have not a clue.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

WITH THAT SETUP YOU CAN PULL MORE FASTER THAN A WARN 8274 WITH GIGGLEPIN AND ( 2 ) 6hp MOTORS SOMEONE KNOW WHERE A CAN FIND A PUMP WITH THAT SPECS,
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you going to compete with it? Going any faster than an 8274 is asking for trouble. I saw a setup in Australia where a guy had an electric pump in the rear of his truck. He also had a huge finned reservoir so there was always enough cool fluid in the system. I would strongly suggest this setup since you will still be able to recover your vehicle if the engine stops. Any local hydraulic expert is going to be able to help you out.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your engine is able to run the winch will work great.
That is the only down fall of the engine driven pumps the engine has to be able to run so if you are upside down,too sideways,to virticle, in too deep of water or your engine just wont run.
YOU WILL NOT be able to winch
Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evolution
As long as your engine is able to run the winch will work great.
That is the only down fall of the engine driven pumps the engine has to be able to run so if you are upside down,too sideways,to virticle, in too deep of water or your engine just wont run.
YOU WILL NOT be able to winch
True, but at that point you probably not going to be driving it home anyway so an extra 5min in the drink while you use a mates 4x4 to recover you isn't going to matter and electric systems can fail when they are underwater long enough anyway. A diesel could be shagged, and an EFI petrol computer after being underwater may not be much better.
I suppose you might want this option if you knew there was no one else about, but then I'd be reluctant to try such a risky water crossing in that case.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brisnut
True, but at that point you probably not going to be driving it home anyway so an extra 5min in the drink while you use a mates 4x4 to recover you isn't going to matter and electric systems can fail when they are underwater long enough anyway. A diesel could be shagged, and an EFI petrol computer after being underwater may not be much better.
I suppose you might want this option if you knew there was no one else about, but then I'd be reluctant to try such a risky water crossing in that case.
You must be talking about Land Rovers . Jeeps have sealed ECUs . Electric winches also work underwater. I'm talking from personal experience. If your installation is correct, it won't fail on you. There is a greater chance that the battery lets you down first from running out, or if you have a bad negative ground. You will have to do some cleaning and maintenance afterwards though.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic winch mod. With non p.s pump