Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Humvee tires, show em' if ya got them?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humvee tires, show em' if ya got them?

Hey everyone, I found a sweet deal on some Humvee Tires locally, with rims, they are eight lug but the tires have really good tread. I thought I saw some people on here with these tires but can find them. I understand I would have to run adapters to replace the rims, but I do like the Military style wheels. Let me know what you think and post pics of the tires on your rigs.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those have got to be some heavy arss tires! They are military oz rating. Not sure if I have ever seen adapters that go from 8 to 5 lug pattern.....not even sure if that is even safe. And if we are talking Military hummer tires/wheels... the rims are "breakdown" and have aluminum run flats inside...a pita to change a tire. Good/Year Wrangler is the tire but it is a different tread pattern I believe for the military/civilian tires.

Sorry if I read your post wrong and you meant civilian hummer tires. I am not familiar with those.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

He would need to buy some 16.5 inch wheels to run those tires.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

well im looking into getting a qoute on some re-centered H1 wheels with the JK bolt pattern done, just a qoute so far then from there I will decide if I will pick up the tires for the cheap. As for the tires, im looking at the actual military surplus tires OZ, I will only being using this setup from time to time, and I really dont mind the rough ride. If I can get a good deal on re-center HI HMMWV wheels I will go that route, plus my local deal includes the wheels so I may just have to have the wheels re-centered.

Heres some re-centered H1 wheels on a JK
Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those would be cool!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 PM
JK Freak

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!

Well i found some pics of some really nice looking JK's running the Military tires(H1) first picture is with a custom rim that is 16.5 with 5x5 bolt pattern, im waiting for pricing on these

and second picture with I love!!!! is the stock H1 wheels mounted on a JK with custom adapters, I love the way these H1 wheels look on there. check em out guys, Im waiting for pricing on these custom wheels or the custom adapters, two routes much better than having the H1 wheels recentered I think, much easier.

Now I dont wheel hard, no rocks to play with, but only soft dirt from time to time, so I think wheel spacers would work fine with me, and i do understand this will put extra on my bearings and balljoints....i think
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is sick. If I ever do a gnarly two-door rock crawler, I might look into those wheels and tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrat350

and second picture with I love!!!! is the stock H1 wheels mounted on a JK with custom adapters, I love the way these H1 wheels look on there. check em out guys, Im waiting for pricing on these custom wheels or the custom adapters, two routes much better than having the H1 wheels recentered I think, much easier.

Now I dont wheel hard, no rocks to play with, but only soft dirt from time to time, so I think wheel spacers would work fine with me, and i do understand this will put extra on my bearings and balljoints....i think
Looks kinda like a J8 with those wheels/tires on it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice...

If you get either 8 bolt or 12 bolt humvee military tires that is fine.

Get rid of the runflat or beadlock if you are not gonna wheel it hardcore.

Recenter the wheel. Get the pressed centers not the flat ones that will match the 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

It is extremely easy to cut out the old center and make it look nice. Do not worry about this.

It however is more difficult to weld the new centers on. Take your time. Get someone with millwrighting or machining experience to help you. This is the procedure I would recommend...

Take a tire off your stock wheel. Put the wheel back onto your axle without the tire. Measure how true it is with a dial indicator. Record your findings.

Tack weld the pressed center at the correct offset. Put them on your axle and turn them. Use a dial indicator to measure how true your setup is. Compare it to your stock wheel and see how close you are. if you are not happy with your results, cut the welds off and try again until you are happy.

once you are happy weld it out. However i do not recommend welding it all around. Rather weld say from 0 to 45 degrees, 60 to 105 degrees, 120 to 165 degrees and vice versa. The gaps may save your ass if one of the welds crack as you will have other welds holding it. If your full all around weld cracks the crack will spread until it reaches itself again and the center could fall out and this could kill you at a high speed.

This is an example of what your wheel would look like if you do it properly. http://www.cmperformancemachine.com/...sion%20035.jpg

i do not like the rock rings I prefer the stock military look.

Rock rings add too much weight I think. Also increases your chance of having your wheels out of balance.

Just my opinion!!! Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love the look of the millitary wheels....if its cost effective to make them fit I'd say go for it....and you can always buy the H1 tires on ebay for cheap

Quick Reply: Humvee tires, show em' if ya got them?