Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

how to weld OR how not to fry your computer

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have actually mig welded some clevises and shackles on my back frame, and didnt disconnect anything...
Had no problems!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickl
I am a heavy duty mechanic and welder who regularly welds on vehicles with engine/trans/abs,chassis and other electronic control systems,just disconnect battery so no current flowing usually just disconnect ground side is fine(just make sure all grounds removed at battery)also it is just common sense to ground close to your work when welding to try and keep current flow in the affected area,Oh by the way I have forgotten to disco batteries once or twice prior to light welding and happy to report no fried or cooked electronic components but do not recomend this.I have done a fair bit of welding on my 07 rubi(with neg cable disconnected at battery)and have had no issues
I would try to keep the ground as close as possible, I have welded a lot on jeeps and have yet to fry anything battery disconnected or not
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

We like to protect the JK and disconnect the PCM and the TIPM just for protection.

I have heard alot of people mess the modules up just prtect yourself

Gerry

And oh of course the Battery needs to be disconectted
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPSHANE
i have actually mig welded some clevises and shackles on my back frame, and didnt disconnect anything...
Had no problems!

When i welded my c gussets i didnt disconnect anything either, no issues. If i would do it again, i would disconnect the battery at least. Its too easy to disconnect not to.

corey d
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

It's always been a habit for us to disconnect the battery... Never had a problem that way! Have you ever heard a battery explode?? Sounds like a bomb..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an older thread, but I'm getting ready to weld in the ORE control arm skids and rear shock skids. I am planning on TIG welding these on since I have tons more experience with that and that's the only welder I own. I am assuming most of everyone's experience noted above is with MIG or stick welding. Does the high frequency start of Tig affect the ECU/Sensors or otherwise?

When I welded on my YJ I unhooked the battery and REMOVED the ECU from the firewall, mostly because it was easy. And never had an issue either. On the other hand the JK is still under warranty....

Thoughts or experiences???

Adam
Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Still shouldn't have any problems with tig. Like everyone said keep ground close and unhook battery. There are products that you could buy to hook up to your bettery as well. They take any extra voltage/amperage. They work well. Well i guess anyway you don't really see anything happening when you have them plugged into the leads of the battery. No news is good news I guess. I've used these welding on muiti million dollar military vehicles with TONNES of electronics with no problems at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't disconnected the battery, nor had any problems. As long as your ground for the welder isn't on the other side of the Jeep. it should be fine. Keep it as close as you can to what you're working on..
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AMMoyer
I know this is an older thread, but I'm getting ready to weld in the ORE control arm skids and rear shock skids. I am planning on TIG welding these on since I have tons more experience with that and that's the only welder I own. I am assuming most of everyone's experience noted above is with MIG or stick welding. Does the high frequency start of Tig affect the ECU/Sensors or otherwise?

When I welded on my YJ I unhooked the battery and REMOVED the ECU from the firewall, mostly because it was easy. And never had an issue either. On the other hand the JK is still under warranty....

Thoughts or experiences???

Adam
Turn down the HF, and use DC.

When I worked on tractors we used those stabilizers you hooked to the battery.

Quick Reply: how to weld OR how not to fry your computer