Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

How to turn your Factory Familiy Pack Softtop into a Megacool Fastback

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn your Factory Familiy Pack Softtop into a Megacool Fastback

I'm going to the Drive-In in a few weeks so going to throw the mattress in the back of the unlimited, then I realised the softop if I folded it down would be in the way of vision, so thought what if I can fold it forward?
So here it is for the meagre price of 2x 10mm capscrews/bolts with nylocks and 2 pieces of 2.5-3mm thick galv plate measuring 100mmx45mm you too can have this great feature, the holes are 7mm and 10mm and 90mm apart, but that is all I can tell you or I would have to kill you but franchise opportunities are available

BUT WAIT! A couple of velcro straps or similar wrapped arounf the roll bar holds it all forward nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_0324_071.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	21169

Name:	Pic_0324_073.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	21170

Name:	Pic_0324_074.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	21171

Name:	Pic_0324_076.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	21172

Name:	Pic_0324_077.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	21173

It is however probably a good idea to add a bit of padding in the very top corners of the rearmost bar as it is partially off the factory padding stril due to change of angle, otherwise it holds up fine around town, not freeway or cyclone tested, but got a double thumbs up mall crawl rating.

Now, I've heard a rumor that something can be moded to allow the front third section to fold back only ontop of the next section without un clamping the rest of the roof anyone know how?

Last edited by Brisnut; 03-24-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
Really cool little mod!!!!

With those parts installed, does the top still sit nice and tight when it's closed?
Yes sits fdine I've even had the side windows off and back window rolled up for a few days this week and everythings still tight,the top rear bar ends up in the same place and height it's just at a slightly different angle, you could possibly make these a little shorter in the hole centres maybe 80mm, my first set failed because I just used straight pieces so had o support when folded closed. I mad these first a little over then kept grinding the angle till I got the one I wanted to sit right when open to work with the tension from the clip strip around the back corners.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would buy a set of those.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robin
Took me a while too. two cups of coffee and then it was light it was light outside. The back of the top rolls up.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Took me a while too. two cups of coffee and then it was light it was light outside. The back of the top rolls up.
I think he's scratching his head over the "fastback" part. When I first clicked on it, I thought someone had come up with a mod to convert the factory soft top into a fastback top ala Bestop or ORH, as that's what most people I would assume think of when they see fastback when it comes to a soft top.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
I think he's scratching his head over the "fastback" part. When I first clicked on it, I thought someone had come up with a mod to convert the factory soft top into a fastback top ala Bestop or ORH, as that's what most people I would assume think of when they see fastback when it comes to a soft top.

I don't wake up before noon and I'm waiting for the R & L carriers truck to drop mo stuff in my driveway. I also only had one cup of coffee and it was a long night, and I had 4 teeth filled this week and it's friday and it's sort of like spring out there.

Ok, then it was just me, a little dense at times .
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Well it looks like a fasback in profile I guiess, it also allows you to put 5foot high palm trees in the back to bring home for the missus and ithe closest thing you could get to a ute conversion
Old 03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robin
i agree...kinda cool maybe
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, Drive-In rating report for a JK 4 door.
Firstly my "fastback" mod worked great for visibility of the screen, we even left the tailgate with 33" tyre shut parked with the back tyres on one of the tar humps provided in the 2nd row back from the screen.
I did have a problem with the top being too loose on the freeway and flapping, so I easily attached the the back section again without the windows till we got there, I will have to look at how to keep tension on the roof somehow.
So with the aid of a pair of thin foam rubber mattresses, a pillow and a doona, it can be nice & cosy for 2 with the front seats folded forward, my mini Waeco cooler worked better than I thought they did, fitting great between the mattress and one of the rear doors. I also stored the side windows between the mattreses, just incase the weather an hour from home became unlikeable.
Having the sounbar speakers above our heads was great, the sub was muffled a bit behind the matteress, and I could reach the stereo controls from the back enough to find the right FM station and adjust the volume.
Ok minor JK problems were the headlights blinding the people in the next row when I unlocked the doors a feature which I really haven't had a problem with otherwise, fortunately they can be turned off by the headlamp switch. The beeping when having the door open and keys in the ignition also annoyed other people too. But the work around for this was to climb in and out over the tailgate for the rest of the night, for which the combination of Mopar rear steel bar and folded forward softop worked well.
You could just fold the whole top down, as it doesn't sit that much higher than the tyre if you can park on the right angle. Though it was getting some dew forming near the end of the second movie, so it was nice to be under something.
Though be warned, during school holidays itwas packed out on a Saturday night, we were cued outside for 30 minutes before getting in 15minutes before the movies started, they were full and locked the gates about 5minutes before the movie started, some friends I was talking to outside on UHF didn't get in. And a lot of people started trying to push into the cue in the last 10 minutes resulting in heated discussion roadside.

Quick Reply: How to turn your Factory Familiy Pack Softtop into a Megacool Fastback