Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

How I ruined a pinion bearing by extending my diff's vent tube

Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the only way you could insure that the crush sleeve doesn't get over crushed is if your pinion yoke were getting installed at the same time as gears/overhaul kit with new crush sleeve or, using the pains taking FSM method that requires the use of a high end inch lb. torque wrench - a vast majorty of mechanics don't do this and really, most of the time, it's okay not to.
I hear you. My guy never puts a torque wrench on a pinion nut. Hits it with air, spins the yoke by hand and gauges resistance, repeats until he's comfortable. If I have a problem like this again, perhaps I'll talk to him about doing it w/an inch-pound wrench.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i'm glad to hear you're back on the road again.
Amen to that!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Omg!!

I almost can't believe this!

I went out to the garage to fiddle around this morning and about fainted when I looked under the JK. The mess is all over the inner fender, wheel, tire, suspension, etc. Gear oil, pouring from the right side axle tube.

Can you say "d-e-f-l-a-t-i-n-g" boys and girls?

How about "d-i-s-h-e-a-r-t-e-n-i-n-g"?

I've had the Jeep back for one day since the overhaul kit was installed.

It would seem I was wrong about my vent line puking enough oil to grenade the pinion bearing. Obviously, it was something more insidious (like, my AXLE SEALS).

Now I'm stranded until I can limp this freagin' thing back to the shop on Monday morning.

Seriously bummed....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	92084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	92085  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man

That would be discouraging. Hang in there, and hopefully Monday will come quickly.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

awe man, that's gotta be frustrating. just to make sure, you weren't seen a leak like this before getting your pinion bearing fixed, right? i mean, if you were, it would have been really noticable, or, so i would think. so you know, in order to change out the pinon bearings, you need to pull apart your entire front end - more than likely, the axle seal was accidentally damaged when pulling things apart or being reinstalled. unfortunately, it happens and i seriously doubt that this is what lead to your inital problem.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi

Woah, he doesnt use a in/lb torque wrench? I would have a serious issue with that myself. Back on the TJ days I blew my rear pinion yoke replaced it in y garage and since I didn't have an in/lb I took it to the dealer to have them check it. After the mechanic told me I got it in spec I told him I was thinking about getting a in/lb and which one does he use? Then to my surprise he gives me some BS about how he didnt have one but he could tell by feel. WTF? I felt like a cartoon character cause my face was red and steam prolly blew out my ears. I was told by an oldschooler back in the day to run like hell from any mechanic claiming to be a human torque wrench. I guess it stuck.

Goodluck getting it back on the road. Hate to see you broke down again.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Eddie, I'm sure you're right now that I sit and think about it. The seal probably got damaged/dislodged when the axle shafts got shoved back in.

Miraculously, my local stealer has a pair of seals in stock, $22 apiece. At least I'll have parts in hand when I can get my Jeep back to my gear guy Monday.

Quick Reply: How I ruined a pinion bearing by extending my diff's vent tube