Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

How I fixed my Death Wobble!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Perhaps you haven't seen it, but my Death Wobble thread in the Write-Up Section has more than 50k views.

Post #1 explains what causes DW.

Post #2 gives an inspection checklist to diagnose the source(s) of the problem so you can fix it.

If you would have followed the inspection checklist in post #2 of my Death Wobble thread, you would have immediately found your problem.

So far, I don't know that anyone who completed all the steps in Post #2 hasn't been able to find the source(s) of the problem and fix it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble

This is what I used. Mine turned out to be track bar related. I'm glad you were able to find the problem, because I wouldn't wish the death wabble on anybody.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wable

It happend to me yesterday and I had to drive 30 miles with out going above 30.

It wabbles a little at idle also. Any ideas on that?

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow when I get off work.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

I had death wobble for months! The thing that fixed mine was the AEV drop brackets. They gave me more positive castor that is what fixed the wobble for me in the end. Things I did prior, Rubicon express high steer draglink, Jks trackbar bracket and sector shaft brace, custom track bar hiemed at both ends, and Fox steering stablizer.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default Where to pickup 9/16 bolt?

DRGREYBOW

Is this something you just pick up at HomeDepot or that a bad idea? Ive seen grade 8 hardware there, but just wondering where you grabbed these.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Perhaps you haven't seen it, but my Death Wobble thread in the Write-Up Section has more than 50k views.

Post #1 explains what causes DW.

Post #2 gives an inspection checklist to diagnose the source(s) of the problem so you can fix it.

If you would have followed the inspection checklist in post #2 of my Death Wobble thread, you would have immediately found your problem.

So far, I don't know that anyone who completed all the steps in Post #2 hasn't been able to find the source(s) of the problem and fix it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble
Uh-oh, I've angered the Death Wobble gods!

I actually used your death wobble thread and responses extensively. Here's where I went wrong.....Armed with the knowledge from your thread, I had checked the torque specs multiple times and never once found my lower control arms to be out of spec. So I always assumed my control arm bushings were ok and could only be bad if they had been less than properly torqued. What I found was that it was only when I completely unbolted the control arm that I was able to notice my bushings were bad. This is the step from your checklist that I will admit I failed to follow.

The reason I started this thread was in hopes that others wouldn't make the same mistake I did. Don't assume that just because your control arms are properly torqued that the bushings are still good. You need to completely unbolt the arm to inspect the bushings!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DCPGATOR
DRGREYBOW

Is this something you just pick up at HomeDepot or that a bad idea? Ive seen grade 8 hardware there, but just wondering where you grabbed these.
I had trouble finding them at first too. I finally found them at Ace Hardware. I even had to go to a particular Ace Hardware, as the first Ace I went to didn't have them but the second did. Apparently different stores carry different inventory.

I believe there is a thread out there that planman may have started regarding the 9/16 bolt revelation, but I don't have it at the moment. I would recommend getting fine thread-shouldered-4 inch-grade 8 bolts. They fit perfectly!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drgreybow
I had trouble finding them at first too. I finally found them at Ace Hardware. I even had to go to a particular Ace Hardware, as the first Ace I went to didn't have them but the second did. Apparently different stores carry different inventory.

I believe there is a thread out there that planman may have started regarding the 9/16 bolt revelation, but I don't have it at the moment. I would recommend getting fine thread-shouldered-4 inch-grade 8 bolts. They fit perfectly!
Good info, thanks DR! I just found that PlanMan thread... its at 41 pages, so i have quite a bit of reading. I'll check Ace for those bolts. I'm doing my lift this weekend, so i want to tackle that the first time around.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good info.

Quick Reply: How I fixed my Death Wobble!