Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

How I fixed my Death Wobble!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I fixed my Death Wobble!

Most of us have read ton's of posts about Death Wobble. What it is, what it isn't, and what causes it. But I've seen very few threads about people who actually fixed it and what they did. So here's my story.....

I started getting Death Wobble a few months ago. It was a fairly mild case, but it was unmistakable. I did a good job of keeping it under wraps whenever I would feel it coming on and slowed down immediately to get it to stop. I was well aware of what Death Wobble was and what caused it but for some reason I had a little trouble diagnosing it.

I went to my Track Bar first. For the most part it looked fine. Maybe a very slight case of wallowed out bolt holes, but not much if any. To be safe, I had a buddy weld on some washers and installed 9/16 bolts instead of the stock bolt. That didn't fix it.

I took it to the dealer and a local shop and neither one could tell me what was wrong.

Finally I went to the Lower Control Arms. I checked several times that everything was torqued to spec and it always was, but I decided to unbolt them completely and check the bushings. I've been running Rock Krawler control arms in case you're wondering. When I pulled them off on the frame side, the inner metal sleeve simply fell out. This is bad. What I found was that for some some reason the rubber bushings were shot. Take a look at the picture below. You can see daylight between the metal sleeve and the bushing. This means that there has been play in the control arms making the axle move back and forth and resulting in death wobble. I ordered a new set of bushings from Rock Krawler and just to give you an idea of how tight it should be, I had to use a vice to get the metal sleeve to seat all the way into the new rubber bushings. I bolted everything back up (this time using 9/16 bolts as well), and everything has been solid ever since. No more Death Wobble!

So if you're having trouble diagnosing your Death Wobble, and you have aftermarket control arms, take a look at your bushings! It could be the source of your problem if everything with your trackbar checked out fine. Hope this helps some people out there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	281062
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the 9/16" bolts fit into the Rock Krawler arms without having to drill them out?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedrod
So the 9/16" bolts fit into the Rock Krawler arms without having to drill them out?
Yes they do. No drilling required.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drgreybow
Yes they do. No drilling required.
Interesting. That is the exact opposite of what people on this forum have been finding.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these first generation or second generation Rock Krawler control arms?

To the post above the 9/16th bolts will fit Rock Krawler arms on the frame side not axle side.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
Are these first generation or second generation Rock Krawler control arms?

To the post above the 9/16th bolts will fit Rock Krawler arms on the frame side not axle side.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you what generation mine are. But I was able to use 9/16 bolts on both the frame and axle ends.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice good find!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havnt changed the bolts on my control arms, but I was under the impression that Jeep used 14mm bolts on them as well even with them being drilled for 9/16ths from factory. Havnt really seen much on the forum to dispute this? Good write up
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure why the mods moved this to the Show & Tell board, but hopefully people will still be able to find it here.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Angry just starting to get the wobble!

Not looking good! Just starting to get it! Need to start looking closely!

Quick Reply: How I fixed my Death Wobble!