Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade Safari or Safari Bikini

Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Safari or Safari Bikini

I am looking to fabricate a metal bikini top for my 2-door JK. I need to wait for the weather to break here in PA to get outside. Has anyone come across any posts where this has been done? I searched myself and couldn't find anything.

Also, where is the best place to find metal strong and bg enough to do the job? I checked online and everything seems too expensive. HD and Lowes don't carry anything big enough.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen any but that's an awesome idea. Keep us posted about the build! I'm interested!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for pics! I made mine out of fabric, but metal might be neat.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClaytonT
Lets see it!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awsome idea. Curious if you "sawed" a truck bed lid to fit. Maybe that might work out well. When it stops sleeting here in st. louis i'll give this ago as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why not toss on a set of freedom panels and be done with it.
Any sheet metal shop will be able to provide you with the materials you need. They'll even shear it for you and finish the edges as well as punch holes for you too, but it'll cost you.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only place you're going to find metal large enough for that job is a local metal shop. Bust open the phone book because they're usually not big on having a website. I was thinking of doing something like this, but decided I wanted a Mesh top instead and I'm very happy I did (keeps the sun from melting you and you still get air flow). I just got a garden top and made a PVC pipe frame, then zip tied the whole thing together. If this had been out when I was looking, I probably would have bought it:

ht tp://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/173.htm
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClaytonT
PICS!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bradlybob
Why not toss on a set of freedom panels and be done with it.
Any sheet metal shop will be able to provide you with the materials you need. They'll even shear it for you and finish the edges as well as punch holes for you too, but it'll cost you.
I think that's a good idea. I don't have a hardtop so I'm unsure how the panels usually attach, but I think you could make a clamp on mount to the rollbar.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

you could try an aftermarket auto parts store like carquest or something. i know they used to carry 4x8 sheet metal for body shops and such. can't be that expensive - less than 100 for a sheet. you might need two pieces and weld the long sides together.
my .02

Quick Reply: Homemade Safari or Safari Bikini