Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade rock sliders questions...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good. I need to build some sliders when my welder finally gets here.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great.can you take a side shot.id like to see what it looks like from that angle.can you see the support pieces when standing beside it.trying to tuck mine like the poison spyder set. but these looks stronger welded to the frame like that
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has always been my understanding that using the gas helps to cut down on splatter. I have also heard that the flux core welds penetrate better hence the reason you don't see any settings on your welder chart for 1/2" welds with solid core wire. I use the gas process for stuff like sheet metal and (yesterday) conduit where I am using low heat fast welds on thin wall base metals. If I am welding something structural or that is thicker than about 1/8" I use the flux core process. I would much rather be able to use the gas process for thicker stuff. I guess you could weld thicker base metals with the gas process if you welded it with multiple passes.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonS
looks great.can you take a side shot.id like to see what it looks like from that angle.can you see the support pieces when standing beside it.trying to tuck mine like the poison spyder set. but these looks stronger welded to the frame like that
These are the best I can do right now, (at work), they are cell phone pics so they are not as sharp. Also my wife sneaked into one of them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0143.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	265304

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0142.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	265305
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
looking good. I need to build some sliders when my welder finally gets here.
Willing to help anytime, although I'm not sure how much constructive help I can actually offer...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to see. Looks great and you can relly see the mounts welded to the frame. That's what I was afraid of.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure welding directly to the frame is the best idea with such a load put on such a small area something is going to bend or break eventually...especially if you get it hung up...flux core wire emits a shielding gas around the weld to keep impurities out while using a gas does the same thing it is a cleaner weld with the gas..much less grinding. A proper weld should not have to be ground any at all unless it is sheet metal where you need a completely smooth seam. The more wire you burn the better you will get.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

The main benefit to a self shielding flux core wire is it can be used outdoors, and it does burn hotter than a solid wire such as er70 s-6 (MIG wire) with a C25 gas when running the same settings. With the right settings and joint fit up Mig wire will get as much penetration as a self shielding wire. There is no one wire that does everything. For building stuff such as this I would recommend using MIG and not flux core. Self shielding flux core wire is a farm wire. lol

Also I would NOT weld to the frame. Never weld between the suspension mounting points on a stock frame which is a tempered material and welding to it changes the structure of the metal and can cause frame failure ...... bad bad bad.....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wsutwiggy
I weld to my frame all the time, the day I see a broken or cracked frame that is fully boxed, that will be the day I stop. If it's good eought for evo, its good enough for me. Haven't head of them cracking thier frame yet. As far ar welding and not using gas, well I'll never use flux, it's shit. I haven't broken a weld yet with gas.
X2........
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same factory steps and just made some custom rock sliders myself. I chose not to use those brackets. I bolted my rock sliders on using the same mounting points on the body As the original steps but fabricated my own brackets.

Quick Reply: Homemade rock sliders questions...