Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade Mirror Relocation Bracket

Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Mirror Relocation Bracket

I decided to design my own brackets because I wanted something where the passenger side mirror would be fully usable with the doors on. In addition, I wanted to use the original mirrors. They're made out of 3/8" thick aluminum stock with a 1" dia. rod on the end. The full length of the bracket is 7 1/2". The arm starts at 1 1/2" and tapers to 3/4". The passenger side allows for full door opening without hitting the mirror. The driver's side door does contact with the mirror, however the retaining strap has been stretched which I think is allowing the door to open further than it should. Unfortunately I don't remember what degree angle the arm is off the base, but if anyone wants to know I'll measure it again. I am happy with the results, however they do shake a bit because of the arm length. When I get a chance I plan to replace the 1" rod on the end with a 1 1/2" piece and drill a 1 1/8" hole in it, so the mirror will sit in the rod instead of on top of it. I'm hoping this will help reduce some of the shaking.

Just for full disclosure, I did not do the welding. My uncle owns a machine shop so I had access to the materials and picked his brain on the design. He then had one of his guys weld them up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3018.jpg
Views:	1562
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	14440   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3017.jpg
Views:	1839
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	14441   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3006.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	14442   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3016.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	14443  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

not bad

hows the vibration going down the road though?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I say you have something there. They look great are you going to paint or powder coat them.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

You may be onto something there. Keep us posted on the results. You may have a product for a future Basement Builders Fair.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by texmexjeeper
not bad

hows the vibration going down the road though?
Good question, looks awesome though! Mine is alum as well but it's just 1/8"x 1" flatbar from Home Depot, vibrates in the wind, you get the general idea of what's back there but on the hwy it's somewhat distorted from the wind.

Hey Slacker could you make a beefier version of that? Beefier as in thicker where it's narrow and bolts to the mirror?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fugly. Sorry.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

texmexjeeper and SASQUATCH:
They definitely have a vibration to them, but I think it's due to the bumps in the road because it doesn't consistently do it at any speed. Oddly enough, I've noticed my driver's side vibrates more than the passenger side. Overall though, it's not terrible...If it was, my girlfriend would complain about it shaking when she drives. Like I said above, I'm going to try solving the vibration by putting a bigger end on the arm so the mirror sits in it, instead of on top of it. But I kind of believe that because of the length of the arms and the weight of the mirrors, there is no way to completely be rid of the vibration. SASQUATCH please feel free to add pics of yours. When you were asking about beefier/thicker, do you mean don't taper the end down?

JK-Fire:
As of now I plan to leave them as is because I'm still tinkering with it. Eventually I'll probably paint them.

Roxzilla:
Thanks for the compliment
Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those look nice. After they are painted you need to post some more pics.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very creative I like it
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a pair of relocation brackets, Road Warriors I think, the passenger mirror is useless.
Although I like the solid metal plate for the doors from Road Warrior.

I like your brackets much better, I think you can shorten your driverside a bit, but the passenger side needs to be that long. Sorry I like to see the idiot that hangs back there in my blindside. I almost want to post a little note back there by my right rear light saying if you can read this, I cannot see your dumbass.

A quick disconnect latch on the bottom for trail, or for just easy removal.
I like your brackets, how much for a pair. I can paint myself.

You should market these, your brackets with the metal plates that are smooth is a hit.
Dang what about a rubber mount, so if you hit a tree it would just bend.
Like stretch man.

Quick Reply: Homemade Mirror Relocation Bracket