Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade front bumper

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice bumper. What did you use to make the holes in the bumper and bar brace?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Pictures of how it mounts?

Originally Posted by tweba08
Thanks for the compliments guys. I am just a guy with a 2 car garage, a stick welder, drill and an angle grinder. I actually enjoyed building this bumper because it is the first thing I have gotten to weld/build for the new JK since I sold my old 1 ton TJ.

This might make you guys sick but I only have $130 in material on this bumper.......
Great looking bumper!

I'm working on building my own, but i haven't decided how to mount it yet. Either off the stock plates or bolt to the framerails. How'd you do it?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiKing
Nice bumper. What did you use to make the holes in the bumper and bar brace?
Hole saw for a drill, worked out great!

Originally Posted by Just Empty Every Pocket
Great looking bumper!

I'm working on building my own, but i haven't decided how to mount it yet. Either off the stock plates or bolt to the framerails. How'd you do it?
I built 1/4" plates that cover the ends of the frame mounting points (which the shackle mounts are through-welded too), drill holes in the plate, mounted the plates to the frame rails and then welded the bolt heads to the plate. I then cut holes in the bumper for the shackle mounts and slide the whole bumper over the plates and welded them to the inside of the bumper so the bolt heads are sandwiched in between the bumper and the mounting plates. I didn't get a good picture the mounts I built but here is a picture I found of what I ended up with:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tweba08
Just to update this thread since the bumper wasn't quite complete, I decided to go ahead and add the much need support plates for the front hoop. I was thinking of adding tube but I am glad I decided on the plate with speed holes instead. Bumper is now complete until I get a winch!
Best looking home made bumper I have ever seen!!! Will be doing this soon. Awesome!!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is awesome!!!!

Quick Reply: Homemade front bumper