Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

home made rails/steps

Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made rails/steps

I really liked the factory plastic side rails on my jeep because you can stand on them to get to the top, tie stuff down, wash it, etc. A stump took one out trail riding though which made me look at a lot of aftermarket stuff. I liked a lot of brands but decided to make my own using factory Rubicon rails as a start and mounting point. I have a lot more pics but could only download 5 so this is a real abbreviated version from start to finish. I added the machine bead lock strips below each door to match the Pro Comp rims and break up the long rail edge. A lot of work for cosmetics but it did make a difference in the look. I am going to fab some added frame mounts as well for extra strength but I'm taking a break for a few weeks. They are made from 3/16 steel like most of the good aftermarket stuff and weigh about 74 lbs each. I top coated them with roll on bed liner material. They are sturdy and give a lot of space for standing on like the factory plastic ones and I tried to keep them pretty tucked up for ground clearance. Looking back, I would have cut the Rubi rails outside edge off prior to welding which would have saved some weight and angled the rear edge more but I'm happy. Not counting my labor and alcohol, I have about $500.00 in them. if anyone wants more pics, I can try to send them but I'm not great with downloads.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678..jpg
Views:	155
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	65895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2709..jpg
Views:	142
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	65896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773..jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	65897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2838..jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	65898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2837..jpg
Views:	142
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	65899  

Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi

very nice......Now you can make me some for my 2dr.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 12-05-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

These look great. Do you have any pics down the side so I can see how they line up with the flares?

Quick Reply: home made rails/steps