Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

home built (sort of) off road chaser trailer

Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home built (sort of) off road chaser trailer

Spent about 4 mos. compiling all the pieces and formulating a plan for this trailer. Not to pretty I know, but extremely functional. here are some shots and evolutions.

maiden voyage 1k miles round trip to Bridgeport, Tahoe, and back all freeway no off road.

A close up of the pintle set up I made reversing a standard hitch and using a lucete loop insert.

Here is a shot of the LED tail lights mounted, in the first pic you see I was using magnet mounted lights.

This is a shot of the Solar panels from the backside, these will only be up when stationary they are glass and would prob. break otherwise.

As you can see a bit more to go with the finishing touches and paint, but I am on my way, and under 2k including welding at a FAB shop.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I can see the pics just fine.

It looks good. Could you take some pictures of the suspension, I can see that it's not a typical trailer suspension and I'm curious
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

these are 3500# spindles and hubs, the copilovers are off of a T-rex four seater like a rhino. The lug on the hubs is a special 5 on 5 to match the jeep and the tires are the same as my jeep 37's. The trackbar was necessary to eliminate sway. I have researched all trailer suspension designs and went with this because it is doable with a budget. airbags and full independent trailing arms as well as dampners would have cost 5 times as much. It works great on road 70+ no prob in a 1k test run, but we'll see off road, I am taking it to rocktoberfest. It rides high when empty and is level when loaded.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job dude! Looks great, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome! I'd love having an offroad trailer.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

thanks guys for the comments, this is my first evolution so i am sure like everything i do it will take on many forms.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwikto
thanks guys for the comments, this is my first evolution so i am sure like everything i do it will take on many forms.
It's all good and to be honest I'm learning a lot about the trailer stuff myself. We are in the process of getting an old Willy's truck bed trailer from my father-in-law that we are going to refurbish and make trail ready. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Default More done today

Solar panel control module jump battery and inverter installed and connectors attached

Main storage box sanded and primered gotta wait a couple days before the road stripe yellow paint gets applied.

I need to figure a way to make some legs that fold or find a store bought solution to put on top of the lid so i can fold it all the way open and make a table, any thoughts???

Last edited by Dwikto; 09-29-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome work !
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I'm going to send this to my hubby. He's a fan of using solar panels to power things.
Great job!

Quick Reply: home built (sort of) off road chaser trailer