Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Home built, custom Stubby front bumper

Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy smokes that is nice!!!! Can't wait to see it all finished. Damn I have to learn how to weld.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Nice job!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man that thing looks 1,000% better than alot of manufacturer's products, won't name any names.

Awesome work and can't wait till it's finished!!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks great!

Can you give me a couple of details on the light istall?

What is the diameter of the fog lights and how do they attach to the inside of the bumper?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Preacher
That looks great!

Can you give me a couple of details on the light istall?

What is the diameter of the fog lights and how do they attach to the inside of the bumper?
preacher - the light inserts are just 4'' standard pipe. as for fastening the light to the pipe....i fabed up some 5'' strips of 1/4'' plate 4 in total and tack welded them to the side of the pipe flush with the back. moched the light in place, used a fine point jiffy to place dots where the screw holes should be and drilled them out.....bobs your uncle and your done!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info... I gotta see if I can find some bumper-off pics of the lights.. I have an idea
Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! stick welded and done in 10 hours that is something. I like to see home built stuff in here.

I have a similar project going and see that you also have a rubi. Are you going to address the sway bar disco with a skid plate of some kind?

burt
Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf
Very nice piece of craftsmanship.What width flat bar did you use, I am just guess'n something like 6". I want to fab up both front and rear and still looking for ideas. Also the plate the bolts are welded to is that full width or just partial for mounting. If you don't have mounted or if easy to get a pic or two of the backside that would be cool. Also I am glad I don't have to dress that warm anymore to work in the garage, that just looks cold.
6'' by 1/4'' on front and 8'' by 1/4'' on top. the plate the bolts are welded to does not run full with, but i did weld the heck out of them for strength. I dont have a pic of the back right now, but imagine a 5'' by 6'' plate with half inch bolts welded to it. one for each frame rail. I set the outer of the bumper in place over top of the plates while bolted to the frame rails, and crawled under and tacked the inside plates to the outer of the bumper.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

You did a great job on this bumper and if you don't mind, I am going to copy your design for my front bumper. All I have is a stick welder also. Did you use 6013, 6011 or 7018 (I only have an AC unit)? So, you said you welded the grade 8 bolts to the plate and then you welded the plate the bolts are welded to onto the actual bumper all the way around?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Home built, custom Stubby front bumper