Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

holy crap this was scary

Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu
Good rule to follow.

Never let another Man touch your nuts.
:rotfl mao2:
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just glad that everyone is ok. I think you need to look into purchasing a torque wrench and a 19mm deep thin walled socket. My wheels have recessed lug nuts and I dont trust shops. Sometimes they tighten too much and sometimes they are too loose. After a trip to the shop I just loosen all my bolts and then re-torque to 95 ft/lb (as per manual). After 100 miles, I re-torque again. And all is good until the next time the wheel comes off for a rotation/balance/brakes...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow, i really hate stories like this. because it could have probably been avoided if someone paid more attention to their work. I'm glad everyone is ok and there was no accident, your wife is quite the driver!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
It's my belief that Tire Rotations are one of those jobs that are delegated to the "Village Idiot" at tire stores.
I used to work in the parts department at a major chain here in Canada, and there was one young tech who got stuck on tires and batteries as low-man on the totem pole. The older guys would make fun of him when he pulled out his torque wrench to finish a tire install. Anyone else in the place would just crank the lugs on with an impact gun.

Screw dat... I'd rather rotate them myself and be sure. I like that earlier quote about never letting another man touch your nuts.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad all is ok !
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

We went to Costco today and got a new set of tires for my wifes car (not a Jeep), on the work order/reciept it says to bring back in to retorque wheels after first 40km. It also states manufacturer torque specs which by the way were the same as in the owners manual. I drove home 120km and checked them with about 2-3 ft/lbs more. They would just move telling me they were put on right. Check those aluminum rims regularly, you can't trust your family to someone else. It is your responsibility to make sure they are retorqed after an install or change (in Canada anyway).
Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gajeep
cannot say I know what that means.

These are hubcentric rings and if the shop mistakenly doubled up on one wheel, it will eventually lead to sheared lugs and failure.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I brought my jeep in to get the 35's put on, I specifically asked to have the wheels torqued to 95 ftlbs and the tech tightened them to 133 ftlbs. I was pissed with them as it was printed on the work order to set them to 95. Over torqued lugs were most definitely the cause of your broken studs, probably one of the most overlooked problems when it comes to vehicle repair shops. I always check them myself. Glad everyone is safe! Cheers!

Last edited by 0llll0; 06-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: holy crap this was scary