Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

holy crap this was scary

Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuota
Hey, I'm new to the forum and I don't want to start a sh$t storm, but did you have hub centric rings on those procomps?
cannot say I know what that means.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gajeep
they are recessed a bit, unfortunately no good sound system though to loosen the lugs.
Fortunately, when it happened to me, I had friend behind me that saw my wheel wobbling and called me on my cell. I pulled over and tightened the lugs. One lug was missing and the other four were loose. I drove it about 1/2 mile to Goodyear and by the time they had it on the lift, the lugnuts had loosened so much that he was able to shake the wheel with his hand.

His hypothesis - the wheel was not completely on when i rotated the tires a few days prior. I have to use a deep dish socket because the lug are recessed, plus the hole is just barely big enough for the socket to fit. If the wheel is not perfectly flush, the socket cannot turn properly and fully tighten. Basically the lugs felt tight but they were still loose. I even used a torque wrench... He said to make sure the wheel was all the way on and pressed against the drum before I put the lug nuts on.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hub centric rings, insert into the center bore of the wheel, so that the are perfectly centered on the hub, without them if you don't install the lug nuts perfectly, it could cause the wheel to be unbalanced or come loose. But there is a very big differece of opinion on this, on this forum which is why I didn't want to stir up some arguements. BTW thank GOD you and you're family are unhurt.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gajeep
$1000 deductible, so doubt it. Hoping I just need a new rotor and that the axle isn't bent. With the holiday weekend though, won't know anything until Tuesday. And I need it back by Thursday as we are driving up the the mtns to meet our builder.
I tell you where I'd be going...... Right back to the shop the didn'y finish their job
I garauntee if you press hard enough you'll get compensated somewhat if not all. If the manager doesn't wanna budge then call corporate. They can be looking at a huge lawsuit for not putting your jeep back together correctly......

All in all I never trust these kids or adults for that matter to tighten my lugs to spec. I check myself
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unless I missed it, did you retorque the lugnuts after the first 50-75 miles after your tires were rotated? The aluminum rims with 95 ft/lbs seem to have this problem if not retorqued. I check mine about every month. I never remember ever seeing a steelie come loose when we used to stand on the wrench to tighten it. You and family were lucky.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good rule to follow.

Never let another Man touch your nuts.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Unless I missed it, did you retorque the lugnuts after the first 50-75 miles after your tires were rotated? The aluminum rims with 95 ft/lbs seem to have this problem if not retorqued. I check mine about every month. I never remember ever seeing a steelie come loose when we used to stand on the wrench to tighten it. You and family were lucky.
x2 on this. i bet theres a disclosure somewhere on your invoice that states to re-torque the lug nuts after so many miles.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

thank GOD no one was hurt...who did your rotation and balance?..i would take this up with the manager or owner of the shop..
Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
x2 on this. i bet theres a disclosure somewhere on your invoice that states to re-torque the lug nuts after so many miles.
looking at the invoice, all it says is that they were Torqued to 80 ft. I found an old invoice from them from May of 2009 and they were torqued to 100ft.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Glad the family is safe mate. Someone needs to be held accountable here. It could have been tragic.

Quick Reply: holy crap this was scary