Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hoist for hard top!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. When you put the top back on - how exact do you have to be
when backing the jeep back under the winch - I imagine within 2-3 inches?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

wow, nice job
Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

How does it secure the top? I think there is a crank for the center drive shaft that retracts the cables to lift the top, but is there a rachet mechanism or other component that prevents the top from spooling all the way to the floor? Does the rear window get in the way of the winding mechanism?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tj-tigger
How does it secure the top? I think there is a crank for the center drive shaft that retracts the cables to lift the top, but is there a rachet mechanism or other component that prevents the top from spooling all the way to the floor? Does the rear window get in the way of the winding mechanism?
From their website it looks like there is a hand crank and optional drill driver to hoist it up but yeah...how does the ratcheting mechanism work ? Also - how sturdy is that rack ? Do you get any bend in it with the weight of the top attached ?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
From their website it looks like there is a hand crank and optional drill driver to hoist it up but yeah...how does the ratcheting mechanism work ? Also - how sturdy is that rack ? Do you get any bend in it with the weight of the top attached ?

I will take some pictures for you!!!!

It comes with the hand crank...

Rack it SUPER sturdy... i sat on one side and it did not move...

NO bend at all...

It had a great lock so the top could never fall to the ground...

When I get home I will take more pictures for ya!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

After seeing a couple of these now, that looks like the best and most economical lift system. Didn't know Sears had them, but the price can't be beat. Thanks for posting!!

I imagine some other bracing could be used instead of the rack, or along with the rack. Maybe some electrical conduit with like is used on some other hoists that have been posted.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Looks kewl

I use mine to load/offload my fishing boat too !!

JIMBO
sweet where did you get the rack you have attached to your hardtop?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Very nice! The only thing I worry about would be the use of the yellow ratchet straps holding the hard top to the lifting rack for an extended period of time. Also does the back window pop open the way it is in the picture? Is there a way to secure it shut?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkess3
Very nice! The only thing I worry about would be the use of the yellow ratchet straps holding the hard top to the lifting rack for an extended period of time. Also does the back window pop open the way it is in the picture? Is there a way to secure it shut?
i have my hard top secured the exact same way with ratchet straps and they dont move at all. of course you need some quality ratchet straps..

you can tape the back glass down if you want. i am sure there are other ways to do it.. maybe get some green scotch tape that painters use.. that is good about not leaving residue behind.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanna give you a totaly platonic mankiss... that's exactly the "mod" I need to use one of those lifts they way I want to.

Quick Reply: Hoist for hard top!!!