Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hobart Handler 140 questions

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobart Handler 140 questions

So I got a Hobart 140 welder for xmas, pretty sweet right. Here is my concern, its only 115v. I am not interested in doing flux core, only gas shielded MIG with argon/CO2 mix. My plans are to make bumpers, sliders, roof rack and a trailer that can haul our dirt bikes and camping gear. With the exception of the roof rack everything will be made of 3/16" steel. Will the 140 be able to handle this thickness of steel? Also what thickness of wire should I use .030 or .035? And why? Also would mild steel be adequate for these apps? I have heard really good things about this welder and would like some first hand knowledge from people building Jeep related parts with it. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used my 140 to make a couple bumpers for my previous truck (early bronco). The welds were strong and the machine worked well.

IIRC, the 140 is rated to 1/4" using flux core. Welding with gas/solid core wire is rated for slightly thinner steel. I'm going off memory here, so don't blast me for being off on my details.

ETA:
I just pulled the manual online. I'm correct in my above statements. It isn't a big deal to run flux core. Spray the area down with THIS and weld with solid core. Afterwards, clean the welds with a wire wheel and/or 120 grit flapper wheel.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffncs; 12-27-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the advice. I will be adding shackles and don't know what a plug weld is???? I have read that using .035 wire with only 115v will end up with weaker welds since the 115v may not have enough juice to get the penetration needed. But since you have had good luck with it I'll just roll with it. Can't wait to get this fired up. Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeffncs
I used my 140 to make a couple bumpers for my previous truck (early bronco). The welds were strong and the machine worked well.

IIRC, the 140 is rated to 1/4" using flux core, I think. Welding with gas/solid core wire is rated for slightly thinner steel. I'm going off memory here, so don't blast me for being off on my details.

Jeff
You are right in your details. I read that if you go slow it can handle 1/4" with gas but I really don't think I'll be welding 1/4" very often, maybe in the trailer build but I think 3/16" should work just fine. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi

I have the same welder. It will burn good welds when set up correctly. I usually have the setting at 3 and 35-40. The only problem I have is not with the unit, but with the breaker in the breaker box. I trip it all the time. I think it's a 10 amp. It only lets me burn an inch or two before it trips. Very frustrating. I need to run a dedicated plug into the garage with a 30 amp breaker.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

That's good to hear. Yeah it does require a 30amp fuse to work properly. I can see how that would be frustrating resetting it all the time.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BONDSY
I have the same welder. It will burn good welds when set up correctly. I usually have the setting at 3 and 35-40. The only problem I have is not with the unit, but with the breaker in the breaker box. I trip it all the time. I think it's a 10 amp. It only lets me burn an inch or two before it trips. Very frustrating. I need to run a dedicated plug into the garage with a 30 amp breaker.
What size wire do you use?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi

I use the 0.030 with the argon/co2 gas. It puts out some pretty good welds.
I built my own transfer case cross member with it. Here are some welds.

And the Currie replacement axle Johnny Joints.

As you can see that is 1" steel I'm welding. So while it is a small welder, it can weld bigger stuff too.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Nice that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for all the replys

Quick Reply: Hobart Handler 140 questions