Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hitch-Mount Racks

Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch-Mount Racks

Here's a hail mary, but has anyone made/found a box to mount onto their hitch-mount racks? I know there are bags for this purpose, but that does not seem sturdy enough for me. I also have seen the boxes that actually mount into the hitch. I am looking for a box that I can place and secure on-to my hitch-mount carrier and then take it off when needed.

The reason I need it to come off and on is that I have recently adapted my hitch-mount rack into a bike carrier. I used some roof rack yakima bike mounts (the u-channel version) and mounted them using piping and threaded rod. It works perfect, holds 2 bikes, comes off within a couple of minutes and looks factory.

Please post any pictures of your hitch-mount racks or carriers that have been adapted for more and secure storage.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No-one out there has thought of this or done anything similar?

I contemplated making a wooden box that would bolt onto the carrier. This way I could throw my ice auger and ice fishing crap in the box or all the things I take when I go camping, but I was hoping to find something that would look a little more stock. A material that looks like plastic but cut and was workable like wood would be great (now I just have to invent that).

Another idea would be something like this... but I would want it twice as tall.
https:// http://www.schooloutfitters.com/cata...g.com_SPR-1191

Quick Reply: Hitch-Mount Racks