Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

HID install pics/mini write-up!!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID install pics/mini write-up!!

So I finally figured out how to install my HID kit for my Hella windshield lights!
First off the kit is H3 however the hella bulb hold downs do not work with the HID kit's bulbs. So I had to bend the metal tabs to hold the light down like so:

It seems to work pretty good and the bulbs are secure and only have a slight bit of play.
Next obstacle was that the housing for the hella 500's are too shallow for the HID bulb to fit in. So I drilled a 3/4" hole in the center of the rear of the light (exactly where the hella logo is). The bulb then sits against the grommet which secured the bulb even more. I added some silicone for a watertight connection:

This is where I wired the ballasts to. One wire from the relay for power and one wire for ground was good enough to power both ballasts. Don't diss the mess, I cleaned it up and installed wire loom over all of it before I buttoned it back up:

Now the final product compared to the stock headlights and "stock" Hella 500's on the bumper! I am still seeing spots!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mandatory Tim Hortons. Good job.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

good job vince the mounting is deffintally different from mine I had a huge hole
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Great job.....You will love HID's....once you see how bright they are, you will wonder how you ever drove without them before
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

looks good
now do the other four lights will have a new sun!!

Quick Reply: HID install pics/mini write-up!!