Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

hemi year models?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hemi year models?

i am kind of passively looking at hemis to put in my jeep...

my question is what is the year range that i can use? i understand that for inspection purposes, it is "supposed" to be the same year or newer.... but looking past that rule what years can i use? there are a ton of lift out engines and trannies on ebay.. even more i am sure in wrecking yards around me for wicked cheap. i plan on doing the install at home, well at my buddy's home since he has all the fun tools that would be used....

any help on this would be much appreciated..

thanks alot.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

why would you chance it by installing an older one? my luck if I did that six months later they would start checking. I just don't think it is worth the possible isues later... with all the hemi's out there I would just get one my year or newer. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10x1000
Why is it supposed to be the same year?
How could they even tell?
Is this just for newer vehicles?
I dont understand why you couldnt use an older one.
x2
Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

EPA laws is the most basic answer. They have come out and said a engine needs to be off of the same year vehicle so it stays in touch with emissions laws.

If your state is sticklers about it, and look up the vehicle and the books says its supposed to have a 3.8 V6, and you show up with a 5.7, they can check the casting numbers on the engine to get a date. Also they may require you to produce receipts for the engine. So if you get a older model, you would have to forge the receipt or alter it to say its newer then is. This course of action opens a whole can of worms for the seller, you and an attorney.

This law is basically from 2000 model year to present. Now if you wanted a 5.7 and didn't want to go with a used one, you could always build or have one built for you.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

ok, i understand the law about same year or newer but i have found some 5.7 out of 05 and 06 trucks and jeeps that are crazy cheap... my question is.... would these work.
and i am planning on movign back to texas where they do inspect but i know the guys at the inspection station so its cool.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
Personally, though, if I was going to break the rules, I would put a chevy drivetrain in it. While the rumble of a hemi sounds good, the rumble of an LS1 sounds better!
i thought about that but since the jk is a canbus system.. wouldnt that make it not really work right.. ?? i kinda want this to look stockish..
Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smbundy13
i thought about that but since the jk is a canbus system.. wouldnt that make it not really work right.. ?? i kinda want this to look stockish..
There is a guy in our club who found a flood damaged JK after the hurricanes last year. It is a 2WD right now, but he was considering pulling the body off of the frame and fabbing everything up. However, when eDiveBuddy got his hemi, this guy bought the old pullout 3.8 and got it working instead.

I know there was one somewhere in the extreme section that had Chevy powertrain... maybe Crocker or Burnsville did it?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smbundy13
actually, technically it is illegal to put a hemi in a jk anyways.. so that argument is pointless. that is according to a post i saw from one of the aev people.. dave i think it was.. he said that they are technically not "road-legal"
Dave also said they are just a few weeks from having a factory cal that will bring their conversions up to code emissions wise, which will make them completely street legal and also enable the mds mode. Also there is nothing "illegal" about putting a hemi in a JK.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

When I put a LT1 into my YJ the only thing I was told to make it street legal was to make sure it had the same emissions equipment as the engine I took out. I even had the smog pump taken off and still passed inspection. So I am sure as long as the engine has the same emissions equipment as the 3.8 you should be fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Back to the ORIGINAL discussion. I have an 07. Can I buy a year or two older hemi and install it with the conversion kit?

Quick Reply: hemi year models?