Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Varietal

Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Trailjeeps in Boulder put a 5.7vvt in mine (Cherokee version). I can't imagine anyone needing more HP. Apparently you can put in the intake from the truck version of this motor for more gains. I've got 7k on the swap now without any issues. Mileage around 13 mpg though, but I like to race it. I put a Sprintbooster on it...really fun.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 01-11-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this 5.7 Hemi for sale in my local Craigslist. Thought someone here might be interested.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2777735020.html

Brand new Hemi 5.7 crate engine for $4800! I have no relation with the seller and its not my engine. Wish it was, I wouldn't sell it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
I had Trailjeeps in Boulder put a 5.7vvt in mine (Cherokee version). I can't imagine anyone needing more HP. Apparently you can put in the intake from the truck version of this motor for more gains. I've got 7k on the swap now without any issues. Mileage around 13 mpg though, but I like to race it. I put a Sprintbooster on it...really fun.
Not yet you can't, and when you can they'll have to do some minor PCM reprogramming. I get as high as 16.2 and as low as 11 mpg depending how the wind blows but I'm at 7K#'s and still running 4.10's on 37in tall tires. Trail Jeeps did mine at the end of August, I just got to 10K miles on the clock.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go balls to the wall with the 7.2!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

just went to AEV's new site. They dont have pricing for hemi swap on there. It looks like they want you to buy one of their packages first and then you can get a hemi swap too. Personally i have a lot of that stuff already and "just" want the swap and maybe a hood...

BOR has their swap offerings listed in an inuitive manner on their site
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jksooner
don't mean to hijack, but if I am looking for a 5.7, how do I tell the difference between the first 5.7 and the VVT (VCT, whatever it's called)?

the easiest way if you don't know what your looking at is that on the top front of the block, the vct engines have the water temp sensor on the timing cover and the 05-08 5.7 (as well as all 6.1's) have it on the block itself.

I can't really comment on how easy one is to install over the other, but i can tell you you can make more power from the 6.1 or older 5.7 from really cheap things, like a cam and valve springs. or you can stroke it and make well over 600hp from the 440. there are also aluminum block out there that can go as high as 461ci and weigh 100lbs lighter.

but if it was me putting it in my jk, I would do a 397ci (5.7 based with 4.08" stroke 3.937" bore) with the newer 09+ 5.7 heads aka eagle heads, and a somewhat small cam around a 218/226 to keep operating range around 2000-5800 rpm with a eagle intake manifold. that would make around 450-470 rwhp/tq. that opinion is based on bang for the buck. the about the cheapest you can make that kinda power hands down with plenty of room to grow, but this is a jeep but a 7000 rpm drag car lol.

the 6.1 stuff is getting rare and not to mention out dated and being surpassed. the intake manifold is about the only thing really worth the money you pay for it. the bare block are going for $1k and hard to find. where as the 5.7 block are $100 if you have resources.

somewhere else a while back mentioned that the 6.1 is a just a stroked 5.7, that is bad information they both share a 3.58" stroke in stock for the 6.1 has a much larger bore at 4.055" and much better heads and intake manifolds. the heads and manifold are the main reason for the power increase.

if anyone is serious about it shoot me a pm I've been around a few of these things before options are almost endless.

www.pwrparts.com
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey PwrJustin,

I see you're in Alabama, I just did the 5.7 swap during the Christmas season but was blind to what year hemi I acquired. I'm checking now to see about the water temp sensor location and verify the possible year. What else might I look for to determine what year hemi I possess? Here are a few pics that you may be able to view and add your expertise on. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Hemi and Tranny Pic 1.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	416859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Hemi and Tranny Pic 2.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	416860  

Quick Reply: Hemi Varietal