Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Varietal

Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseyjk08
what about older Hemi's. Reason I ask is I found a 426 crate engine sitting in an old truck at my uncles body shop. Turns out he was buidling it up about 20 years ago and never finished the engine. Been garage kept the whole time. It still looks brand new. He forgot it was even under the hood. Any issues (other than inspection) with an older Hemi. I'd love to get this in the jeep and I have him almost convinced to give it to me. haha
Oh wow, I'd rip all the electronics outta the jk , put a metal flat dash with real guages. There'd be a shitload of little things you'd have to do and buy, but still would be wayyyy cheaper than a normal conversion.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imack606
one flaw with that is i would like to keep my 2007 vehicle streetable, w/o electronics and no way to check for ODBII codes means no inspection, at least here in vermont.
Haha, I live in Louisiana though, abit different down here.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could sell the 426 for a pretty penny and use that towards a 5.7.

I prefer the 5.7 (not mine, but from experience with 5.7 and 6.1 cars). The 5.7 gets 1mpg less than the 3.8 and uses regular gas as opposed to the 6.1L. It all depends on your driving style. DD - get 5.7. trailer queen - 6.1
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

I would do the 5.7 VVT. Then you would have the low end of the 5.7, and the tip end of the 6.1.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 426?

Better sell the big hemi. Great engine for it's time, but the technology is 40 years out of date on an engine that has been sitting for how long? Also, legality issues aside, you will have to fabricate everything, versus a proven swap kit from a reputable company. Oh yeah, and I know you can make ANYTHING fit if you throw enough time/$$$$$$$($$$$$$$$$$$$[$$$$$!?!?!]) at it, but an older hemi is one big freakin' engine! What else? How about a Jeep that couldn't be more nose heavy if Oprah was sitting on the front bumper? (aren't Oprah insults fun?)

If you are building it for the challenge of building it, go for it. If you are doing it to have a better Jeep, go for a modern hemi.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm gonna drive to detroit and let AEV do my Hemi swap. Seems like a solid company. Anyone ever compare the AEV & burnsville offroad packages?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lotus03
I think I'm gonna drive to detroit and let AEV do my Hemi swap. Seems like a solid company. Anyone ever compare the AEV & burnsville offroad packages?
Try
jeepspeedshop.com
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLHdswGLHk&feature=fvsr
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
I second little john's, he is exactly right. Stupid cool motor set up
Do you guys know of a place that's doing the 5.7 VVT/VCT yet? thnx
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lotus03
Do you guys know of a place that's doing the 5.7 VVT/VCT yet? thnx
I think that Burnsville is doing them, and since Camp gets most of his swap items from them I would guess he can do it too. Last I heard AEV has finished the programming, and is waiting for the computers to come in, and getting a parts list together.

Quick Reply: Hemi Varietal