Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Update: Flowmaster 53054 Muffler

Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Update: Flowmaster 53054 Muffler

I installed a Hemi about a month back or so, and love it. I used the full-meal-deal AEV kit that included exhaust.

The Hushpower muffler that came with the exhaust is quite loud. Yeah, sure, it's got a Hemi, and I'm proud of that, but I don't need the neighbors 5 blocks over to know when I leave for work.

I did a little research and found that the 50 series Flowmasters are their quietest mufflers, but still very free-flowing and intended for tow vehicles and RVs. I decided to pull the trigger, and ordered up a 53054.

I needed to remove 5 and 3/4" of the tailpipe--sawzall made quick work of that. The 53054 is side offset in-out 3". Other than being longer and wider than the Hushpower, it was a nice fit. NOTE: if you want to run this muffler, you'll need to move the evap canister. Also, I have no idea if it would work on a 2 door.

Install was a snap (much easier than the engine transplant itself). The new muffler was in and the Jeep running in less than 30 minutes.

Here's a picture:

The sound is GREAT. This muffler really mellowed the engine sound, but stabbing the throttle defenitely produces the roar it had before (maybe a little deeper and a little smoother). Cruising at just over 2,000 RPM, the engine is now background noise and not something that'll make your ears ring and bleed. Under 2,000 RPM and the engine noise fades out.

There's nothing stock about the sound--it's still got a nice bite when the skinny pedal hits the floor, but now it's something I can live with for a long drive on the freeway up against a retaining wall. I think I can consider the Hemi install complete now.

-Randy
Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did u install or have it done (Hemi) I am soo ready for this..
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, did it myself. I didn't post the details here, but they are on that other site. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Real short summary:

I didn't pull the body like some guys. I don't have the space in my garage. It went together just fine with the body on. The trick is how you hoist and grapple the engine.

I pulled the 3.8 with the trans on the hoist, but removed the T/C from the bottom. I have a Full Traction Long Arm which interfered with the cross-over exhaust. I moved the ears on the crossmember to make room (easy, but time consuming).

The whole transplant took me a week and about 35 hours. I had the engine ready to go ahead of time, and had already installed the AEV battery try and moved the steering shaft. I used a 2007 Commander as a doner. Engine and trans with 17K miles cost me $3,500. With the AEV kit and the few outside pieces I needed, I think I got it done for under $9K. Not cheap, but much better than 18K.

I used the AEV kit, and it all went together nice. A few details are unclear in the instructions, and that accounted for a few hours of doing things, undoing them, and then doing them right. Not bad thought. It's a great kit--I highly recommend.

If I was to do it again, I think I could probably shave 5 to 10 hours off the install. If it wasn't for my long arm lift, I would have saved another 8 hours, easy.

Would I do it again if I had it to do over: YES. Great mod....

-Randy
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
Hi, I'm Marcus.

I hate you!

I wish I had the problem of the JK sounding so pissed off and rowdy that I was concerned for my neighbors. My neighbor's minivan sounds more rowdy than our JK does. LOL

I hear you, Marcus....

The JK is my third Jeep. I had an M38A1 (military from the Korean War) and an 82 CJ-7. Both had Chevy V-8s. I loved them both.

The JK is head and shoulders above those two all the way around except for the damn engine. The 3.8 just isn't something that belongs in something as big as an Unlimited (and probably isn't much better in a 2 door).

The Hemi makes it what it should be. It's not a rocket by any means, but those Prius drivers don't flip me off anymore when they pass--now they can't get around me.

Anyway, yes, it's a good problem to have when your Hemi is too loud...

-Randy
Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Randy,

Thanks for the info. I definitely need to change mine out too.

Did you find any mufflers that would work for those of us who don't relocate the evap canister?

Tim
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Let me take another look under the Jeep and I'll see how much overlap there is with the evap mount. It may be that a shorter version will work. The 53054 is the longest 50 series they make. I had the room and wanted the noise reduction....

I'll get back to you later today on this (maybe tonight).

-Randy

Quick Reply: Hemi Update: Flowmaster 53054 Muffler