Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi transmission question

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hemi transmission question

Okay, been day dreaming about installing a hemi with the AEV kit. Problem is their kit is only for the 545RFE auto transmission and I want to keep my manual tarnsmission. I could be convinced to switch to an auto if it has Jeeps electronic range select (ERS) where you can override the computer and shift gears manuall. I think other brands call it autostick or tiptronic. Can the 545RFE be setup with this in a JK hemi conversion?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd talk to the guys at SLC they are doing 6spd swaps and can probably help you out
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have great news for you!

AEV IS coming out with the manual kit soon!

They actually announced it on their forum and on EJS

I'm quoting Jordan from AEV

Hey Everyone,

We know not everyone is lucky enough to make it down to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari. It's too bad really, because it is beautiful down here! However, as a consolation I figured it would be nice to update everyone on the products, kits, conversions, services, and other news related items.

Announcing the AEV JK HEMI Manual Transmission Conversion and Kit. While we feel that the automatic allows more control off-road, there are some people who just want the manual. The conversion is available directly from us at either our Missoula, Montana or Walled Lake, Michigan shops, or from any of our dealers who have attended the JK HEMI Install Class. Our JK HEMI ATX or MTX Kits will allow anyone from the professional shop to the everyday guy to perform an AEV quality engine swap themselves.

With our Automatic or Manual HEMI Kit, we provide all of the parts (from AC lines, radiator/fuel/cooling hoses, mounts, brackets, wiring, exhaust, etc.) required for a trouble free and high performance engine swap. We are confident anyone can do this swap correctly the first time. No trips to NAPA, no swearing, no long term problems.

I can't get into pricing, release date or a couple of features that I'm not allowed to release yet, but I can give you a couple of Exclusive AEV JK HEMI manual transmission specs, these are in addition to the features and specs of our Standard and Premium HEMI Kits already shipping.
No alteration to factory components including Cluster, Wiring, or Electronic Modules
Correct shifter location, throw, and improved hand to shifter feel/feedback
Factory calibration for ultimate reliability and dealer updates, no "custom"/partial flashes
Factory quality, machine made, and 100% computer tested wiring
Computer controlled and adjustable cooling system
Clutch interlock and other safety features work as intended
Available in standard or premium kit as well as complete conversion in many shops across the country

I'll have a complete list of specs as well as an updated Bill Of Materials soon.

You can read more about the AEV JK HEMI Kits at
h t t p://www.aev-conversions.com/products/jk_hemi
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepbozo
Okay, been day dreaming about installing a hemi with the AEV kit. Problem is their kit is only for the 545RFE auto transmission and I want to keep my manual tarnsmission. I could be convinced to switch to an auto if it has Jeeps electronic range select (ERS) where you can override the computer and shift gears manuall. I think other brands call it autostick or tiptronic. Can the 545RFE be setup with this in a JK hemi conversion?
TCI makes a replacement TCU that's programable and has a paddle shifter option. It's about $1,500 for both. $1000 for the computer and harness.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

4ws dot com is also putting the manuals into the Hemis. I think they only do the 5.7 though.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

At EJS I got a ride in one of AEV's Hemi Jeeps that was a manual. I also rode in a Hemi automatic. So the ability to run a 6 speed exists. However after riding in both I question the 6 speed choice. The Hemi and automtic (5 speed) is a much better match and felt much quicker to me. The 6 speed just felt wrong.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

I love the bad a$$ yellow JK! But, you shouldn't be playing on the neighbors skate board ramp
Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck45
At EJS I got a ride in one of AEV's Hemi Jeeps that was a manual. I also rode in a Hemi automatic. So the ability to run a 6 speed exists. However after riding in both I question the 6 speed choice. The Hemi and automtic (5 speed) is a much better match and felt much quicker to me. The 6 speed just felt wrong.
Long long ago had the best time driving a cj5 with the 304 V8 and 3 speed manual transmission. That combo did what ever you wanted when you wanted it (when it wasn't broke down...). Since then I've driven plenty of automatic transmissions put in under powered cars that would be shifting in/out of gears all the time, especially driving in the Colorado mountains.

I think an automatic in a JK with the 3.8 would just plain suck in the mountains but I have to agree it would be a different world with the auto/hemi combo. I would just miss shifting gears but 6 speeds seems like too many with a 400+ hp 6.1 hemi. All you would probably use is 2nd, 4th, and 6th on the road.

I'm sure the auto was awesome so give me more info about the feel of the manual with the hemi. Which hemi? I've read in some of the dodge forums that the hemi manual combo has a few annoying traits. The biggest was that the RPMs increased when you clutched to shift. Thats common in newer cars due to emission requirements but it was noted that it lasted several seconds. Any comments toward that would help.

Maybe some day the hemi day dream will become reality.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepbozo
Long long ago had the best time driving a cj5 with the 304 V8 and 3 speed manual transmission. That combo did what ever you wanted when you wanted it (when it wasn't broke down...). Since then I've driven plenty of automatic transmissions put in under powered cars that would be shifting in/out of gears all the time, especially driving in the Colorado mountains.

I think an automatic in a JK with the 3.8 would just plain suck in the mountains but I have to agree it would be a different world with the auto/hemi combo. I would just miss shifting gears but 6 speeds seems like too many with a 400+ hp 6.1 hemi. All you would probably use is 2nd, 4th, and 6th on the road.

I'm sure the auto was awesome so give me more info about the feel of the manual with the hemi. Which hemi? I've read in some of the dodge forums that the hemi manual combo has a few annoying traits. The biggest was that the RPMs increased when you clutched to shift. Thats common in newer cars due to emission requirements but it was noted that it lasted several seconds. Any comments toward that would help.

Maybe some day the hemi day dream will become reality.
I rode in a Hemi automatic and a Hemi 6 speed. The auto felt much better and quicker. I felt the stick had too many gears; like a good 4 or 5 speed would be better. A 5 speed with a 6:1 low (like some versions of the old New Process 435 4speeds) that you normally started in 2nd and didn't use 5th until you were cruising on the freeway at 75 mph would be more of a match for the Hemi's torque characteristics. I just felt like the Hemi/6speed was a match made in Hell.

As to engines both were 5.7's. It is AEV position that the 5.7 is the better motor for the Jeep due to its torque band. The 6.1 makes it's torque too high and in a 0-60 run the 5.7 and 6.1 would be within half a car length. Given that the 6.1 is much more exensive and gets worse fuel economy they prefer the 5.7. They did say an exception would be if you were running sand dunes at high speeds with the revs over 4000 the 6.1 would outperform the 5.7. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon ina 5500-6000 4 dr JK!

As to yourcomment onthe 3.8 and auto you are pretty much spot on. Jeep screwed the pooch by putting a 4 speed auto behind this motor. A 5 or 6 speed auto would have been much much better. But I spend a lot of time in the rocks of Colorado and Utah and the auto with 4:1 TC works very very well there. On the road getting regeared to 5.13 made a world of difference; even in the mountains of Colorado.

Quick Reply: Hemi transmission question