Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

HEMI SWAP Muffler

Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEMI SWAP Muffler

I am seriously looking into getting an HEMI swap around mid summer. At this point it would be a 5.7 Vvt. I've been adding up the cost and attempting to justify the expense. In the process I have been reading a lot of threads and watching a lot of Youtube videos.

I am not much of a mechanic and know very little about mufflers. The only thing I know about mufflers is that the sound is largely dependent upon how the air flow is deflected through the muffler and possibly the resonator. I assume the pipe length comes in to play some how.

Most of the Youtube videos I watched had mufflers that I believe were a little too loud for my taste. I was walking by a Commander in a parking lot a few days ago and it was too quiet. I have a friend with a Charger and in my opinion its just right.

At an idle or even when you are lightly gassing it the sound is barely noticeable in the cabin. When you get on the gas it wakes up in a big way. That is what I want. I don't want my neighbors to hear me starting up in the morning or idling down the alley. I live in a neighborhood with narrow deep lots. Our garages are in the rear of the house. We are right on top of each other.

I don't know why you can't base the muffler for a HEMI converted JK off the Charger muffler but I don't know how much difference the length in the pipe will come in to play. I don't even know if there will be a significant difference in the length of pipe. I don't know if the Charger muffler will fit anywhere under a JK. I'd rather have the exhaust up and out of the way but in order to keep it quiet I would not object to locating it right back to the stock position and adding a skid plate.

Is there any reason you can't start with modifying a stock Charger muffler? I understand that some people want their engines loud. I'm just not one of them. This is a personal preference.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

I went through 3 mufflers before sticking with the largest muffler magnaflow makes. 3inch in/3inch out. The problem I had was not only was it to loud but the resonance/drone was unbearable. I used a 3inch exhaust and the muffler is located under the back seat along the frame rail. Its pretty quiet now but lights up when you put you foot in it.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After you complete your install, you may want to visit a local muffler shop, explain your preference and see what they have to offer. It would save you time and money in selecting the ideal exhaust note and performance level.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would look into the Dynomax VT, or Corsa (if you can find just the muffler) if you are looking for something droan free with good sound. I have the Corsa sport catback on our Trailblazer SS and love it. If i had it to do over I would try the Dynomax and pocket the difference.

Dynomax vt.

VIEW VT™ MUFFLER FAQ

•Exclusive Dynomax® Valve Technology.
•DRONE-FREE Performance™.
•On-demand performance & sound.
•Stainless steel construction.
•Straight-through welded design.
•Limited Lifetime Warranty.
•90 Day Performance Guarantee.
(US Patent Pending
Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie