Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

HEMI Swap begins!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEMI Swap begins!!!

So it actually started a couple of days ago, but I purchased the engine and kit today. So in my mind it has offically begun. Going with a 5.7l VVT out of a 2009 Charger and 2008 Dodge Ram Auto trans. I debated quite a bit on the swap kits and decided to go with Burnsville for a couple of reasons, cheaper kit(although not to much), They were willing to help me with my pre-sales questions and AEV was not willing to answer anything, they kept saying "you see the PDF's on the website", lastly burnville allows for more options and are willing to help with whatever configuration i decided. i know there are a couple of others out there as well, screaming lizards, JSS, etc...

So the POS 3.8l engine is out and headed over to my lawyers mechanic (i am one of the 40k spun bearing club and from what i was hearing with several HEMI builders is more common than the several post on the forum.) Engine mounts are out and welds ground away. I have about a week to get the other little mods finished before the engine and kit arrives. Also, redoing the sound/NAV system, so that should keep me busy in the mean time.

I thought i would get a thread started in case i had any troubles or if anybody has any questions on my processes. I know several of you are contemplating this yourselves.

In all, will be under 10k including all the little doodads here and there.

Stay tuned for updates and maybe some pics. It might take me a bit with College football starting in 2 weeks.

Shawn
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

SUBSCRIBED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tag for future epicness.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

i want to do this soon, do you know if you can get a 2009 dodge ram tranny? since you researched enough to decide on what to go with...i would love to have the automanual in with the hemi
Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nycauburn

In all, will be under 10k including all the little doodads here and there.

Shawn
Wow! That is pretty cheap for a complete DIY conversion. I was expecting it to cost much more. Definitely looking forward to watching this thread.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I definately will be watching this one. $10K with odds and ends? That is cheap. Keep us posted and the more pics the better.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Count me in as subscribed! I'd really like to have 5.7 Liters of hemi goodness in my Jeep!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure on the 09' automanual tranny but i did ask while emailing BOR today. I will let you know. I am pretty sure on AEV not doing it because they are pretty strict on which items they support. It easier to do a kit that way. Maybe JSS or Screaming Lizards will chime in here on that .

As far as the price, it is very doable, if you are willing to do it yourself. And even cheaper if you just go with a standard 5.7l. One of the reasons these shops prices are so high is they are quoting new engines, Which are quite expensive as compared to a salvage. All of these shops can do it cheaper if you are willing to supply the engines or do some of the work (like removing the engine and mounts)

So far, any tool needed that i did not have like an engine hoist i purchased off craigslist for dirt cheap and resell later. I do have all the basic sockets shallow and deep. The key tools are the specialty sockets and wrenches like swivel heads, wobble extensions, gear wrenches and flex head ratchets. They make life much easier as well as the air tools. Up to this point it has been amazingly easy and not that bad. If you have an extra car and the cash, i would not be scared about doing it yourself. The hardest part has been removing the motor mounts. it took for ever, was hot as hell and they were just a pain to remove. I am sure if i had better tools like a plasma cutter it would of been cake

So far only pics are removing the POS 3.8. i would assume you guys could care less about that.

Last edited by nycauburn; 08-24-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

subscribed...good luck on the swap bro

Quick Reply: HEMI Swap begins!!!