Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi-Swap - anyone gone THIS route?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi-Swap - anyone gone THIS route?

I have a friend who bought a (gently used) Grand Cherokee last week - it has all the features she wants and one she doesn't - 5.7 Hemi... she would have preferred a v-6 for better gas mileage.

I told her there were guys on this forum who would kill for a hemi and she said "Would any of them want it bad enough to swap for their relatively new engine and pay to have the work done professionally on my vehicle?

I have no idea what it would cost to have a pro shop do an engine swap - couple grand? So don't know if this is something anyone would be interested in or not... but figured I'd ask the guys who know!

So - is this an unreasonable request? Or would people jump at it?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know of anybody that makes a kit (including the computer, wiring harness, etc.) to swap a V6 into a GC. That would be the biggest obstacle, I would think. Getting somebody to trade a V6 for the Hemi wouldn't be an issue, I can assure you!

Not sure, but I don't know how much better gas mileage a V6 is going to give her versus a V8, seeing as how the V8 doesn't have to work as hard to pull the vehicle down the road.

I would say she should look at selling the GC, and getting one with the V6. If she is that set on having one. Otherwise, enjoy the Hemi!

Anthony
Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its not going to be just a couple grand for her to drop a V6 in that GC.. there would be a lot of custom work, computer parts, etc.. if she doesnt want the HEMI she will take less of a hit to go ahead and sell the GC and go buy a vehicle with the engine she wants....

esp since she bought the GC used the hit on depreciation is already gone.. she can likely private sale it for close to what she paid for it.. then go buy one she wants....

-Christopher
Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really not worth it. The mileage difference is 2mpg if you don't live in the mountains. And the power loss really sucks, being that the GC is heavier than a JK (Assuming its a WK, if its a WJ they are pretty close).

But really, I say leave it as is.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

tell them to park it at the top of a hill. with the front end towards the top. Just "let" accidentally roll into something and poof new engine and new car. Jk. It's not worth it. no one is going to waste their time with a program for a jk engine in a grand Cherokee. it would be a one off program that they would never do again
Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ItzaJeepThang
I have a friend who bought a (gently used) Grand Cherokee last week - it has all the features she wants and one she doesn't - 5.7 Hemi... she would have preferred a v-6 for better gas mileage.

I told her there were guys on this forum who would kill for a hemi and she said "Would any of them want it bad enough to swap for their relatively new engine and pay to have the work done professionally on my vehicle?

I have no idea what it would cost to have a pro shop do an engine swap - couple grand? So don't know if this is something anyone would be interested in or not... but figured I'd ask the guys who know!

So - is this an unreasonable request? Or would people jump at it?
I'll give her my v-6 for the hemi. I live in Norfolk.

Quick Reply: Hemi-Swap - anyone gone THIS route?