Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi swap?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi swap?

I don't know if this is the right thread first off, if its not, a mod can move it .. sorry if its not ..

Has anyone done it? I contacted AEV and am waiting on a reply back .. I blew the engine in my JK this last weekend. Hydro'd and a rod went through the side and now has a nice hole in it ...

so least to say, I don't want to put the 3.8 back in it if we don't have to. My husband is checking out burnsville (i beleive) ... we would do it, we just don't know if there is anything out yet to dealers and vendors that would allow for a average day person to do this (not a shop)

any help would be great!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of your woes. Yes, I think there is more than one member her who has the HEMI. A HEMI will not fix your hydrolock problem, though. If you do the same thing with the HEMI, you'll just have a bigger pile of more expensive junk.

On edit: Instead of the HEMI swap, I would purchase a V6 from one of the companies doing the swap. Word on the street is they sell them cheap. That way, you'd still have plenty of money left to make it hydrolock proof.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

I think WOL had some pics and info from somebody offering a DIY hemi kit. I just dont remember if it was from Sema or EJS. I'll look and see if I can find it.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Found it, it was AEV:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/moab-easter-jeep-safari-2008-vendor-show-highlights-33714/
Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
I don't know if this is the right thread first off, if its not, a mod can move it .. sorry if its not ..

Has anyone done it? I contacted AEV and am waiting on a reply back .. I blew the engine in my JK this last weekend. Hydro'd and a rod went through the side and now has a nice hole in it ...

so least to say, I don't want to put the 3.8 back in it if we don't have to. My husband is checking out burnsville (i beleive) ... we would do it, we just don't know if there is anything out yet to dealers and vendors that would allow for a average day person to do this (not a shop)

any help would be great!

I don't know first hand, but I've heard that Burnsville Offroad sells 3.8's cheap. May be worth a call.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Default WOL Posted this from EJS

It's from AEV,..

"Of course, their new HEMI kit was also a surprise as it is VERY complete and estimate have it so that you could do a complete install for only about $4500/$8000-10K installed...."
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Do these engines require premium gas?

Also, I wonder if a JK with a hemi would get better fuel economy than a JK with the 3.8....
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

depends on how its driven a hemi swap will run 18000 plus the 6.1 and 6.4 require premium
Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default hemi swap

hi there , my jk is a 2008 black se 2dr and had it for 6 months and to be frank i spent so much modifing the car and when i calculated everthing i should`ve gone for the srt hemi `coz if u add up the horsepower u get from modifing and the weight you add to the car you`re still not doing much.....but with the srt hemi swap then its like day and night in which u can have more power which gives you the peace of mind to add as much options and weight to the car.Pesonally mine is due to finish from the swap in less than a week and a cousin of mine has his done 3 weeks ago to a 4dr which looks great........so have fun thinking of an another way.....bye
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Conversion Kits and video

4wheelerssupply.com sells Hemi conversion parts and has a blog with a few videos from their conversion. They are here in springfield, MO and I have purchased from them a few times for my KJ and now JK. They have custom headers, computers and wiring listed on their site. It looks like they are trying to make the hemi swap a little more DIY friendly.

I'm sure it would still be expensive though...

Quick Reply: Hemi swap?