Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi question

Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My JK is my DD, and I am poor. So MPG matters to me. A lot!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most part the 5.7 will get 1-2 mpg better than the 3.8 depending on the setup. The manual can be done, but not done right. With the manual there is no programming yet so the computer never sees the Jeep moving. It can be tricked into thinking the vehicle is moving so you don't get all the lights, but things like the esp, abs, etc... are not really getting the correct speed. I have heard that AEV is working with Chrysler to get something done right, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
Dude, the words jeep and gas mildege simply dont compute, I wish they did, but I wish for a lot of things, only things that have a chance of happening
On severl trips from Roanoke, VA to Hatteras Village, NC I Consistently get a little over 22 MPG. And that's from doing the math at fill ups not by the dash MPG display.

I do not go over 65 on this trip but 90% of it is WITH the cruse set !

So I don't see why a 5.7L WITH MDS would not get better MPG.

Come on AEV ! ! !
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Like i told a buddy of mine who asked, "man i bet your mileage is gonna suk with those big tires." and my reply, "if i wanted better mileage, i'de of bought a honda."

As soon as i can pony up the cash for a Hemi, it's all me. And i wont care about mileage.

Buy a honda bud, trust me.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with Camp on this issue. The main reason why you will never see that kind of high mileage with a Hemi JK is pure physics. Aerodynamics and rolling resistance come to mind first. You are driving a brick shaped vehicle which causes wind resistance. If you can afford a Hemi, you probably have money for a lift and big tires. Probably MT or AT tires running relatively low pressure under 30 psi. Plus extra wide tires and heavy truck tires weigh way more than stock rims. Either way you will lose gas mileage considerably due to drag which cars on street tires have alot less resistance. Maybe if you went stock JK to hemi, you could see similar mileage but it is doubtful.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ironworkerlu21
Like i told a buddy of mine who asked, "man i bet your mileage is gonna suk with those big tires." and my reply, "if i wanted better mileage, i'de of bought a honda."

As soon as i can pony up the cash for a Hemi, it's all me. And i wont care about mileage.

Buy a honda bud, trust me.
Read post 12 and 17
Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armycop
I have to agree with Camp on this issue. The main reason why you will never see that kind of high mileage with a Hemi JK is pure physics. Aerodynamics and rolling resistance come to mind first. You are driving a brick shaped vehicle which causes wind resistance. If you can afford a Hemi, you probably have money for a lift and big tires. Probably MT or AT tires running relatively low pressure under 30 psi. Plus extra wide tires and heavy truck tires weigh way more than stock rims. Either way you will lose gas mileage considerably due to drag which cars on street tires have alot less resistance. Maybe if you went stock JK to hemi, you could see similar mileage but it is doubtful.
Read post 12 and 17
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

First of all my jeep is my dd, second of all I didn't buy it for gas mileage, yea I have gotten 22 mpg on the interstate with the cruise set, but that was before tires 33x11.50. I know get about 14 to 16 just depends on how I drive. I am happy with that and trust me my pockets are very, very shallow. To tell the truth I would love to have a hemi but thats not going to happen unless I win the lottery. And then my mpg would be real low cause I know how much fun it would be to drive. Bottom line is this if you want to alway get good mileage keep it all factory and drive it normally.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stvnfalcon
First of all my jeep is my dd, second of all I didn't buy it for gas mileage, yea I have gotten 22 mpg on the interstate with the cruise set, but that was before tires 33x11.50. I know get about 14 to 16 just depends on how I drive. I am happy with that and trust me my pockets are very, very shallow. To tell the truth I would love to have a hemi but thats not going to happen unless I win the lottery. And then my mpg would be real low cause I know how much fun it would be to drive. Bottom line is this if you want to alway get good mileage keep it all factory and drive it normally.
I think what you mean is YOUR bottom line is the above quote

MY bottm line is :

I ony want good MPG only while DDing. I want the 5.7L with the MDS for good DDing MPG and rip-snort performance on the occasions I want it.

In OEM form I get good DDing MPG but no rip-snort performance.

BTW I get BETTER MPG now with 33's than I did with the OEM 32's. I got the AEV programmer to correct the speedo and I was selective in my wheel and tire combo to keep the unsprung weight as low as possible. Only 10 pounds more per tire and wheel. Lower RPM at the same speed = less fuel consumption.

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 03-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker

If this bores you why are you reading it?

........because in some way or another it is a form of entertainment for you

Quick Reply: Hemi question