Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi question

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hemi question

When the hell is someone going to put a 5.7L with the MDS and a 6 speed manual in a JK ?????????

HELLO ?????????????

If I had the funds and the means I would have done this BEFORE I bought floor mats !

My dad has a 2008 Magnum with the 5.7L MDS an the auto. On a trip from Roanoke, VA to DC going 70 with the cruise set it got 23 MPG !!!!!!!!!!!

And it's a heavy car too !!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
When the hell is someone going to put a 5.7L with the MDS and a 6 speed manual in a JK ?????????

HELLO ?????????????

If I had the funds and the means I would have done this BEFORE I bought floor mats !

My dad has a 2008 Magnum with the 5.7L MDS an the auto. On a trip from Roanoke, VA to DC going 70 with the cruise set it got 23 MPG !!!!!!!!!!!

And it's a heavy car too !!
\

4ws.com is doing it already. Like 19000......Any other questions?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
\

4ws.com is doing it already. Like 19000......Any other questions?
Yeah can you keep the MDS with a 6 speed manual?

What kind of MPG is this getting?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
Yeah can you keep the MDS with a 6 speed manual?

What kind of MPG is this getting?
You mean the cylinder management? I imagine so....send them an email and ask them? I just know they are doing it with the 5.7's. Dont really know all the details.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

We have done the 6spd and will be doing another soon. The MDS i will be looking into it is wired and the it should work. The 6spd has a awesome feel.

Gerry

Call us we can help
Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

The Hemi will pull the kid out in ya for sure. they are a total blast to drive.

Gerry
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
Hoping to get better gas miledge, on a 5000lb + vehicle, shaped like a box, by putting in a larger motor. UMMMMMMMMMM, let me think about that one for a while.................ok, I thought about it. Try this, get the largest hemi you can get in your jeep, drive it like you stole it, then each time you get low on gas, like when the little light lights up, put some more gas in it. If your concern is gas miledge, dont buy a jeep, and if you do buy a jeep, stay away from the hemi, cause you may think you will drive it like a little old lady, but I am here to tell you that you will not, its simply too much fun.
Like below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfpc2WlkFQ
Yeah ! what's wrong with wanting a HEMI and trying to get better MPG ? Hence the MDS.

I drive MY JK 76 miles round trip to work 5 or 6 days a week in the mountains so I am very concerned about MPG.

Not everyone has the deep pockets to just laugh at gas prices......like most of the people that get thier rigs done at your shop.

You Sir need to look at your comments in the 3rd person, especially being a sponsor on this forum. Not necessarily what you have said here, but some of your other replys on other posts have been un-called for and very unprofessional.

I know how much MY JK weighs and how aerodynamic it is. Maybe you should read peoples "About Me" before you comment on a question they have so you can tailor your answer a little better to that persons intelligence level..... instead of assuming everyone is a non wrench turning idiot with deep pockets and big money to burn.

I have seen the rigs you build and I am very impressed by them. I especially liked the Rescue Green 4 Door with the Military-Army theme that went up for bid on Barrett Jackson. I hope your business sense catches up with the quality of your builds very soon.

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 02-26-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
Buddy, if you think for a second that a jeep with the MDS is going to get the same miledge as a Magnam, you are sadly mistaken, sure, we can put the motor into your jeep, no problem, and it might get a MPG better than the reg 5.7, the point is if you are going to pony up the cash to go for the more powerful moter in your jeep, the laws of Physics simply will rule, think about it, and as far as gas prices, we have not seen these prices in 7/8 years, so the problem in our country is not gas prices, I am not sure what third person means, but I kinda like it.

I am willing to bet that a 5.7, with mds, with a 6 speed, with a taller 6th gear would geat great gas mileage. If you were able to cruise at very low rpm on the highway...ie (under 2000 rpm), and have the torque of the 5.7, alowing you not to downshift to gain speed..I am willing to bet you would be able to see 25+ mpg on the highway....Hope this doesnt cause any nasty remarks, as some of your previous posts were.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Asta4125
I am willing to bet that a 5.7, with mds, with a 6 speed, with a taller 6th gear would geat great gas mileage. If you were able to cruise at very low rpm on the highway...ie (under 2000 rpm), and have the torque of the 5.7, alowing you not to downshift to gain speed..I am willing to bet you would be able to see 25+ mpg on the highway....Hope this doesnt cause any nasty remarks, as some of your previous posts were.
I have to agree with you also. But I do not think it will see 25 MPG all the time....maybe 20 to 23 average.

I have a 6 speed manual trans 2 door Rubicon with the stock 4.10 ring and pinion gears. I am running 305 70 16 tires ( 33'' x 12.50 '' ) that gave me a bit more over drive, and lower RPM's, but not too low that it boggs in 6th gear. ( Like 4.10's in 6th with 35's do )

The 5.7L HEMI WITH MDS should only benifit this further because of it's lugability and low end torque. Granted the great MPG would only be seen at speeds 65 and lower on flatter roads. BUT it all adds up at the pump.

I am still waiting to hear some feed back on some one with this gear-tire size-engine-tranny combo for some real world numbers. BUT IF they drive it like they stole it all the time then thier numbers are invalid. You HAVE to drive like grand paw to get the full benifit of the MDS system.

I like knowing the HP would be there for wheeling and at stoplight fun & passing situations on the highway.

You CAN have your HP & MPG too ! ! ! !

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 02-28-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

"....a non wrench turning idiot with deep pockets and big money to burn."

Hey, Hey, Hey I resemble that remark! I think it's a stretch to think you'd get 20+ MPG with a 5.7L. I'd be thrilled if it's possible - just thinking it's not consistently probable. Our JK isn't the DD so I'm not concerned with mileage numbers as are other members apparently.

Quick Reply: Hemi question