Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi JK- Which power steering fluid to use?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therza
When I did mine, I asked Dave at AEV about this and he said to use the ATF+4 fluid. It did make me wonder how that was going to affect the pump. If you switch are you going to bleed the system somehow??
That is my plan. I have a new pump, and the steering gear has some ATF fluid in it. I figure if i leave the lines open and turn the wheel back and forth (with the tires off the ground to make it easier), then it should cycle the fluid through the steering gear. This is only if I switch to the power steering fluid. As it sits now, I should be able to just install the pump and use more ATF fluid, which is already in my system. How is yours working? Any whining, signs of weakness/overworking? What size tires?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just to toss in my $0.02, I know that a power steering pump will whine when it runs low on fluid or has air in the system and needs to be burped or bled. When you replace or install a new component in any hydraulic steering system, you're suppose to bleed out the air as described above by jacking the front end up and turning the wheels left to right several times.

You can also create this condition if you've placed the Jeep in a situation where the fluid overheated. You could have created some bubbles in the system that need to escape. Not sure if this is your problem but worth a try.

BTW if you're going to switch from ATF to Power Steering fluid or the other way around; you may want to take the time to flush the system entirely then bleed it.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
Just to toss in my $0.02, I know that a power steering pump will whine when it runs low on fluid or has air in the system and needs to be burped or bled. When you replace or install a new component in any hydraulic steering system, you're suppose to bleed out the air as described above by jacking the front end up and turning the wheels left to right several times.

You can also create this condition if you've placed the Jeep in a situation where the fluid overheated. You could have created some bubbles in the system that need to escape. Not sure if this is your problem but worth a try.

BTW if you're going to switch from ATF to Power Steering fluid or the other way around; you may want to take the time to flush the system entirely then bleed it.
All good info....thank you.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
That is my plan. I have a new pump, and the steering gear has some ATF fluid in it. I figure if i leave the lines open and turn the wheel back and forth (with the tires off the ground to make it easier), then it should cycle the fluid through the steering gear. This is only if I switch to the power steering fluid. As it sits now, I should be able to just install the pump and use more ATF fluid, which is already in my system. How is yours working? Any whining, signs of weakness/overworking? What size tires?
I am running the 37 MTRs with Kevlar. Mine is working just fine. As for signs of weakness, sure, in certain situations on the trail the power steering is "overwhelmed" and the steering wheel becomes very hard to turn. I just back off and drive forward or backward to get to a point where the wheel turns more easily. The steering system on the JKs is not all that stout. I don't want to break something on the trail.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therza
I am running the 37 MTRs with Kevlar. Mine is working just fine. As for signs of weakness, sure, in certain situations on the trail the power steering is "overwhelmed" and the steering wheel becomes very hard to turn. I just back off and drive forward or backward to get to a point where the wheel turns more easily. The steering system on the JKs is not all that stout. I don't want to break something on the trail.
I understand the trail thing, and use the same techniques. Mine just feels overwhelmed when turning slowly on pavement. I think I'm just going to install the new one and make sure to bleed it correctly, and hope for the best.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
I understand the trail thing, and use the same techniques. Mine just feels overwhelmed when turning slowly on pavement. I think I'm just going to install the new one and make sure to bleed it correctly, and hope for the best.
I'm using ATF +4, that's what my dealer said they'd use. They said that the ATF should not gum up like power steering fluid does sometimes... now who knows if this is correct but I went with it.

Mine was the same way on pavement(overwhelmed), and if I was aired down, it was near impossible to steer even while moving. I ordered & sent my pump to west texas offroad(home of redneck ram) and he said it was not possible to add flow to the pump. I think that these pumps are just low flowing at low RPMs. Ended up with the ram and it has made it much better. Still at low RPMs it moves very slowly and feels like it's hard to steer, but at least now it will turn with input unlike before where I'd have to back up.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a Hemi yet, but I'd like to see you guys resolve this. I downloaded the owner's manual for the 2008 WK SRT. Tym is right! The 6.1 pump requires power steering fluid and the fluid recommended by his dealer (PN MS-10838).

From the WK SRT manual:

"NOTE: Increased noise levels at the end of the steering
wheel travel are considered normal and do not indicate
that there is a problem with the power steering system.
Upon initial start-up in cold weather, the power steering
pump may make noise for a short amount of time. This is
due to the cold, thick fluid in the steering system. This
noise should be considered normal, and it does not in any
way damage the steering system."

"Power Steering Fluid Check
The power steering system requires the use of Mopar
Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid (P/N
05142893AA), or equivalent, which meets
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10838
."

"CAUTION
Do not use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) or
other types of power steering fluids when servicing
the power steering system
of this vehicle. Damage to
the power steering system can result from the use of
the wrong power steering fluid."

So the next question is will the JK steering gear work with this fluid?

Quick Reply: Hemi JK- Which power steering fluid to use?