Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi JK- Which power steering fluid to use?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi JK- Which power steering fluid to use?

I have a 5.7 Hemi installed, and am putting in a new power steering pump as the other one was whining. Question: The Power Steering pump is the one AEV identifies as the correct part, which is a part from an 07WK SRT8, and Jeep recommends using Hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) in this particular pump. The Steering gear in the JK is the stock steering gear, and Jeep recommends the use of ATF4+ fluid (Automatic Transmission Fluid), which is what the original JK power steering pump used. Soooooo, which is it? Which fluid works with both parts? I don't want this new pump to whine like the old one.

Last edited by FJ80fornow; 12-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

From My experience power steering fluid will work in a system that calls for atf but atf won't work in a system that calls for power steering fluid so I would use power steering fluid
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine says Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Mine says Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4
your power steering pump says "power steering fluid +4"?, or your steering gear? which power steering pump did you put on your Hemi?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derby911
From My experience power steering fluid will work in a system that calls for atf but atf won't work in a system that calls for power steering fluid so I would use power steering fluid
I appreciate this...if I can confirm that this is accurate (not doubting you, but just want to make sure), then this is the direction I'll go. At $250 per pump, and the time it takes to replace it, I want to get it right this time.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
your power steering pump says "power steering fluid +4"?, or your steering gear? which power steering pump did you put on your Hemi?
Did I write that? Man my brain is fried. My bottle says power steering fluid +4. Same pump and gear as yours. I got the fluid from the dealer as I too did not know what to use when my first pump went TU. When this one goes it's a PSC for me.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Did I write that? Man my brain is fried. My bottle says power steering fluid +4. Same pump and gear as yours. I got the fluid from the dealer as I too did not know what to use when my first pump went TU. When this one goes it's a PSC for me.

That is the direction I think I am ultimately going as well, but I'm not too sure about having steering that does not come back to center when driving on the road. As for your current configuration (using the mopar power steering fluid), how is it working? Does your steering whine and feel like it is working hard? I also have 37's, so this doesn't help, but I know plenty of stock engine guys on 35's that have steering that feels pretty good. My castor and everything else is in line, so it's not like I'm fighting against my suspension.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

As for your current configuration (using the mopar power steering fluid), how is it working? Does your steering whine and feel like it is working hard?
It does whine a little, but it does not feel bad at all. But, I do only have 33's.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I talked to AEV.....

......and they said they use the Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF+4) in all of their conversions. I am still a bit skeptical, as this is the fluid I used the first time, and the pump whined from the start. Either I had a bad pump, or this fluid is not the best solution for this set-up? I have a Chrysler Mechanic checking into it to see if there is any word from Chrysler as to the ATF+4 being harmful to that particular steering pump (which calls for the power steering fluid).
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 5.7 Hemi installed, and am putting in a new power steering pump as the other one was whining. Question: The Power Steering pump is the one AEV identifies as the correct part, which is a part from an 07WK SRT8, and Jeep recommends using Hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) in this particular pump. The Steering gear in the JK is the stock steering gear, and Jeep recommends the use of ATF4+ fluid (Automatic Transmission Fluid), which is what the original JK power steering pump used. Soooooo, which is it? Which fluid works with both parts? I don't want this new pump to whine like the old one.
When I did mine, I asked Dave at AEV about this and he said to use the ATF+4 fluid. It did make me wonder how that was going to affect the pump. If you switch are you going to bleed the system somehow??

Quick Reply: Hemi JK- Which power steering fluid to use?