Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi DIY Instructional Pictorial Anybody?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi DIY Instructional Pictorial Anybody?

Has anyone created a step-by-step or major milestone DIY on a hemi swap? The closest I've seen was the body off inside a cramp garage swap by one of our members, but can't find that excellent thread anymore .

"TheMike" has a nice build that shows the mounts being installed, but nothing about the tranny, radiator, or electricals. His thread is https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/completed-home-6-1-hemi-conversion-100957/.

I'm a shadetree mechanic with a full set of tools and access to engine/tranny hoists, and have tackled some large projects in the past but nothing close to a motor/tranny swap. So I'd like to see/read/hear an install before deciding to go at it myself or send it off to someone to do the swap for me.

Last edited by bkw; 09-29-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at the AEV instructions. Very thorough.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't send it, just do it! It is not as bad as you think. The AEV instructions are complete and accurate, at least for their kit. (OK, maybe one or two minor details that were missing when I did mine.) Pulling the body off is the slickest way to go, but plenty of people have done it through the front clip as well. I have posted some of my tips and or tricks on this forum. You might find them valuable. A plasma cutter really makes short work of the motor mounts, but you can cut them with a saw and grind them down. If you can weld, the rest is just nuts and bolts. For me, the real challenge was lifting the engine and trans together. These motors do not have lifting points on them, so you have to rig something up to lift the motor and trans into the vehicle. Download all the sections of the Chrsyler service manual that will apply to the build. Have a good torque wrench handy and go for it!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I'm comfortable with doing everything.. except for the welding. I've welded a few times before and have taken a course at the local community college, and my welds are still very ugly and I wouldnt be comfortable relying on my skills to hold a 5.7 or 6.1 liter motor in place.

If I do go at this myself, I'll pull the front clip off (don't have a two post lift), remove the motor, then flat bed it to a shop to do the mounts professionally.

Thanks for the tip about pulling the motor and trans. What have folks used to pull them, and does the hemi have lifting points on it to put the motor and tranny back in? I'm thinking that a modified tow strap would probably be a bad idea since there's no easy way to keep the motor upright.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not so much about pulling the 3.8L and trans that is the issue. After all, they are essentially scrap metal once you start the conversion. I don't know of anyone who has successfully sold one, but I am sure some people have. The trick is lifting the new motor and trans as an assembly into the JK. People who have done the front clip method have been surprised at the extreme angle they had to use to get the motor and trans into position. I pulled the body off, so I did not have that issue.

Now to the issue of lifting the new motor and trans as a unit into the JK. There are no lifting eyes on the 5.7L motors. The problem is that the factory method of lifting the motor reqires removing the intake and installing a special jig - well that wasn't going to work! I personally don't think it is good idea to use ANY of the bolt bosses or bolts on the AL heads to lift the motor, let alond the motor and the trans. I used bolts that went into the iron block and multiple ones of those. I wished I had a spreader bar to better position the chains. (Chains are mandatory.) (Others have agreed with this method.) With the main lift points established, I attached a ratcheting strap to the tail end of the transmission to adjust the angle once the whole thing was in the air. That worked well. You will need a high end engine hoist, not a low budget one.

As for welding, I don't even have the skills you do. So I had a friend do that. I would try to find someone, even for hire, who will come and do the welding at your house.

Don't let the welding part hold you back.

Last edited by therza; 09-30-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I did mine.

I used the premium AEV kit. I went with the 6.1. Some of the directions and parts in my case were different so it took a little figuring and making some phone calls. The tech people at AEV are good they can help with the whole process and from what I was told they are updating the direction spreadsheets. I kept the body on mine and just took the nose off. I have a garage I rent with a lift so i did the engine then installed the trans and transfer from under. I haven't done a lot of welding from the time I got out of high school but just get some flat stock and a welder and practice its not that hard. My welds are not going to win a beauty contests but they will hold. even had a friend who is a master welder look at it when I finished and he agreed with me. not the best looking but it will not fall off. The only thing i can recomend is give yourself lots of time to get it done take your time and you'll be happy in the end.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of welders have pertable rigs as they go to various job sites etc. I'm sure it would be alot cheaper and less of a headache for someone to come to the shop, He can probably even cut your old mounts off.

Quick Reply: Hemi DIY Instructional Pictorial Anybody?