Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi conversion 5.7 or 6.1

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the 6.4 VTT?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 5.7 V V T and a 7.0 Hemi in two of my Jeeps. I can tell you that the 5.7 V V T Hemi has almost as much power as the 7.0 and runs and shifts better. The 5.7 acts like it is a factory engine and the 7.0 programing just isn't as good. If you talk with Dan he will tell you the same thing. The 5.7 just runs and drives better and more like a stock factory vehicle. For the money you can't beat a 5.7 V V T.

I am going to have Burnsville do a 6.4 V V T on my next Jeep though this fall hopefully. I'll try and let everyone know what that is like after I have it done.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Man it must be nice to do a Hemi swap, for that price I would be homeless when my wife found out...
Does anyone have an idea how I could get the 6.4 swap done, and the wife not find out?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 5.7L Hemi swap, and I am more than happy with it. Plenty of grunt down low, and plenty of power up high.
But ........ I haven't been in a 6.1L or bigger swap yet, so I cannot comment on how they ride.

Originally Posted by tbenson
Man it must be nice to do a Hemi swap, for that price I would be homeless when my wife found out...
Does anyone have an idea how I could get the 6.4 swap done, and the wife not find out?
Step one: Drain all of your oil out of the 3.8L
Step two: Drive it around until it blows up
Step three: Tell the wife it will take $23k for a shop to replace the engine; or $11k for you to do the swap yourself.

Anthony
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

The 6.1 is a great engine, I personally just don't think it belongs in a Wrangler. In a performance oriented platform no doubt go with the 6.1, it makes awesome power. Not that it can't be optimized for the Wrangler, I just see it as being a dune runner more than for trails and rocks. Now the 6.4 might be another beast entirely. I have 0 hands on experience with it like I do with the 6.1 so I won't comment on it.

The 5.7 using MDS is a non issue, I hate MDS. A set of valve springs, non-MDS cam like a Comp XFI-268, pushrods, and a set of VDL lifters (for torque and vacuum) take care of that problem with a boost of ~60hp. The 6.1L intake can be modified for the 5.7, but again, in a Wrangler what's the point. My opinion is grab an engine/trans from a low mileage junked ram, jeep, charger etc. do some tweeking, and make some really good HP with great driveability on and off the trail. Factor in the AEV kit and performance goodies, it can get done well under $20,000 swinging your own wrenches. If your not doing the swap yourself of course pay a good shop to do so. It's hard for "ME" to justify the $5,000 price difference between a stock 5.7 and stock 6.1 in a Wrangler though. With the manual transmission request it might end up being less of a headache and maybe even cheaper going with a shop. Doing non-standard conversions and trying to source parts winding up with a hodge-podge build can turn things into a nightmare quickly unless you've done it before with the right tools on hand. Burnsville would get my money for a manual swap. Just my anyway.

Last edited by rubiman09; 02-07-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by קובי
אפשר לקבל את רשימת החלפים כדי לבצע את השינוי
מ3.8 ל6.1
וכמובן שמורכבת אצלי מערכת רוביקראולר וגיר אוטומטי
You might try that post again only in English.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
I have a 5.7L Hemi swap, and I am more than happy with it. Plenty of grunt down low, and plenty of power up high.
But ........ I haven't been in a 6.1L or bigger swap yet, so I cannot comment on how they ride.

Step one: Drain all of your oil out of the 3.8L
Step two: Drive it around until it blows up
Step three: Tell the wife it will take $23k for a shop to replace the engine; or $11k for you to do the swap yourself.

Anthony
Exactly my thoughts................!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

מ3.8 ל6.1
All I could make out was the Ramat Gan part.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

As answered by AEV:

ht tp://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=2594

Last edited by Sharkey; 02-08-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Please refrain from posting links to other forums. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

מ3.8 ל6.1
From Google translate:
"You can get the list of parts to make the change
From 3.8 to 6.1
I of course consists of an automatic transmission system Rubickerauller"

Soooooo ..................... there ya go.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Hemi conversion 5.7 or 6.1