Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi 5.7 or 6.1?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houston0
Screaming lizard did a 5.7 for me and a 6.1. Both are great and dont think there is a wrong decision. However, I dont think that having the extra horses is ever a bad idea. I think alot has to do with what type of setup you go with (tire size). My personal preferance is the 6.1. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Why the 6.1?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the 5.7 L....and I've not looked back since, I love it...never once have I sat back and wished I'd gone 6.1....mine was done by Dan at Burnsville, he's awesome
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kntr
Why the 6.1?
I second that. Why the 6.1? I'm going to sound like a high school english teacher, but......please compare and contrast the two. What do you see as the difference between the two?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
I got the 5.7 L....and I've not looked back since, I love it...never once have I sat back and wished I'd gone 6.1....mine was done by Dan at Burnsville, he's awesome
Had you ever driven one with a 6.1? I had the pleasure of driving Ben Hedrick's which has 5.7 and it was great! These should have been an option from the factory. In all of my conversations with Dan, he seems to be a very knowledgeable straight up guy. Who wouldn't love to have his job?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joes-jk
lol im thinking that if u put in the 5.7 and get 100% of the performace out of it thats would be great.

but if u put in the 6.1 and can only 90% percent of the performance out it due to not having a calibrated computer for JK then the extra money spent for the 6.1 may not be worth it.

unless the 6.1 at 90% is still a better performing engine than the 5.7 at 100%.

if i had the money for either i would put in the 5.7. it has plenty of power, and it has a calibrated computer for JK, witch mite mean it will be more reliable in the long run.
The calibration is a question that is still illuding me. One shining plus to the 6.1 is it is a hand built motor(I think it is. Please correct me if I am wrong). I can appreciate the difference between the two.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JohnPShoe
Had you ever driven one with a 6.1? I had the pleasure of driving Ben Hedrick's which has 5.7 and it was great! These should have been an option from the factory. In all of my conversations with Dan, he seems to be a very knowledgeable straight up guy. Who wouldn't love to have his job?
i have riden in an SRT8 grand with the 6.1...that's all
Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default 6.1 vs 5.7

I cant speak for the two engines on the trail as I just got both of them done and I trying to finish mods on the 6.1 before that happens. Both of mine have 35 's and both have approx 4.5 in lifts. The 5.7 has 4.88 gears and the 6.1 has stock 4.10. the 6.1 just maintains speed in moderates hills better than the 5.7. I live in houston texas so not like we have a lot of steep inclines around . I wanted mine set up for good highway as it takes me 4.5 hours to get to a place I go in texas. One thing that is not talked about on the board is the gas mileage of these engines.... around town it sucks 8-10 and the highway is at best 13-14. For me it boils down to 6.1 because better accelleration and maintains speed better on the highway at lower rpms with same size tires. You won't be disappointed in either that much I can tell you.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

The 5.7 has 4.88 gears and the 6.1 has stock 4.10.
For me it boils down to 6.1 because better accelleration and maintains speed better on the highway at lower rpms with same size tires.
Well these two statements tell me two things, 1) geared the same the 6.1 would have WAY better acceleration. 2) 4.88 gears + 35's & a Hemi are to short.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

from what houston0 is saying it seems like u would get more power (whitch means more fun lol) from the 6.1 even though people say u cant use the motor to its full potential in the jk due to the issue with the computer.

but what i would find out if there has been a reliability issues from eathier of them?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joes-jk
from what houston0 is saying it seems like u would get more power (whitch means more fun lol) from the 6.1 even though people say u cant use the motor to its full potential in the jk due to the issue with the computer.

but what i would find out if there has been a reliability issues from eathier of them?
I think I would prefer the 6.1 and I am starting to believe the complaints about the 6.1 are caused by choices to make the 6.1 compliant with an interchangeable kit? Is the programming different for the 5.7 and 6.1? If not, is that part of the problem?

Quick Reply: Hemi 5.7 or 6.1?