Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Has anyone powder coated hinges

Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should give you an idea of how they look!

Pretty nice actually
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That actually looks quite good. I think I would go this route if/when my hinges go to hell, I've been contemplating the black on Redrock combo anyways.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

where can i get those or are they just painted?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
This should give you an idea of how they look!

Pretty nice actually
Thanks for the post Rubimon, That looks great!! Did you have the hinges done in place or were they removed to get sprayed. Also just to verify that is satin Powder coat ,correct? Thanks again thats a great looking JEEP
Your not making it easy I was positive I had to go stainless but now I am thinking powder coating
Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

4wd has stainless hinges, they look good, I thaught about buying a set to have them painted black. Mainly the tailgate. The plastic looks like shit
Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Greystn JK
Thanks for the post Rubimon, That looks great!! Did you have the hinges done in place or were they removed to get sprayed. Also just to verify that is satin Powder coat ,correct? Thanks again thats a great looking JEEP
Your not making it easy I was positive I had to go stainless but now I am thinking powder coating
Dont know anything about the jeep, its not mine. I got the picture from the Moab show pictures on Project-Jk.com. Just thought I would show you all what black would look like! I would love to have that color though.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

If they are made of aluminum why are they rusting? Personally I don't really care how they look but I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gordhunt
If they are made of aluminum why are they rusting? Personally I don't really care how they look but I thought I'd ask.
My hinges are not aluminum they are I think galvanized and I don't care what they look like either but currently the paint has peeled off 2 of them and is rusting to different levels on all of them so I just don't want this to spred.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by D'sjk
I have had to replace one of my hinges do to the screw that lock the hinge in at the buttom and have had no problem with the paint on my door.....I am pretty sure they paint door and hinges seperate especially when I had no unpainted area under the hinge.

I am also pretty sure jeep would not want to leave any metal unpainted or coated due to rust issue even if it was under the hinges...After all even the roll bars under the padding are painted.
Are you talking colour coat or E-coat under the hinge halves?
Did YOU replace the hinge or someone at the shop.
The cost and labour impacts of painting door/hinge/body parts prior to vehicle assembly were addressed back in the 40's or 50's.
Yes the roll bars are installed prior to painting as well.
Vehicle painting in the automated spray booths today are a far cry from what you may want but the alternative would be a vehicle priced far beyond the grasp of the market.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Greystn JK
The Line-x dealer in Winnipeg would not even look at my hinges so I guess I will be getting stainless.
I don't know man but we're talking surface rust on an exposed and hinged mechanism.
I still say if you go to all the expense of buying the stainless parts and add what hassles you'll have behind the existing hinges after removing them....
The only problem you have now can be fixed by lubing the hinge pins and coating the visible surfaces with under coat as often as necessary.
It would be a safe bet saying if you go with aftermarket stainless hinges you'll next be posting about the shitty door rattles and rust around the fasteners.
Yup been there done that with a 89 YJ.

Quick Reply: Has anyone powder coated hinges