Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Has anyone powder coated hinges

Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone powder coated hinges

Just came from the car wash where as I was washing my 07JK the paint pealed right off of one of my hinges. I already had plans to get them repainted in the spring because of rust but now I guess I need to do something sooner. I don't like the look of chrome so I was wondering if anyone out there has black powder coated hinges and have they held up? Also if you have any tips on how they should be done or if it's worth my time,money and effort. thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interested as well
Old 03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

X3. Mine look like crap in just a little over a year.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would that not be covered under warranty? I would be interested in hearing what the dealerships have to say.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCKST8R
Would that not be covered under warranty? I would be interested in hearing what the dealerships have to say.
Warrenty approved on mine ! They will repaint for no charge. However I am not so sure this is the answer. If from new they can only last 10 months than i would much rather invest a small amount and get something with some longevity. As I stated earlier though I just don't want chrome in colour. So I was hoping someone out there has powder coated hinges in black and it has lasted. It just seems to me there may be some issues with powder coating, but I don't know I have very little experience with this coating.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Powder coating would be sweet but I wonder if black chrome would be more durable yet not quite as bussacap-blingy as bright chrome.

Rob
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

After fully stripping and prepping, a primer\flat topcoat powder would be extremely durable with excellent chip resistance. Long term durability wouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Former Member

Unless you're planning on painting the doors forget it. The body is factory painted with the hinges already installed.
Removing the hinges to replace with stainless or special coatings opens up a can of worms.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do not personally have these installed but saw them at 4wd.com. They are hinge coverers that come in either black or stainless. You would still have to prep or paint to prevent/stop future rust behind this cover but might be an option for some. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=40327
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedRockJk4x4
I do not personally have these installed but saw them at 4wd.com. They are hinge coverers that come in either black or stainless. You would still have to prep or paint to prevent/stop future rust behind this cover but might be an option for some. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=40327
Quadratec has em for $59 for ONE door....thats a little pricey....

Quick Reply: Has anyone powder coated hinges