Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

has anyone painted there hard top?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone painted there hard top?

I was thinking of painting my hard top to match the body color. what do you guys think?

if anyone has done this please post pics. TIA.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easily done by a quality body shop. Two stage paint and clear. It does require prep work. Shop quoted me $400

sent from my work leash
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have also thought about having this done.

I'd like to see the results of someone who did it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

To do it properly you would need to remove windows. The crinkle coat finish would need to be removed through tedious sanding and filling. $400 sounds like paint without prep. The cost for a shop to do a complete job would be closer to $1200-$1300. Not worth it IMHO.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Two Tone

I've been thinking about painting the roof of the black hard top white to keep it cooler in the SW US heat. Then I wondered if the temprature difference between the black/white sections would cause cracking? Does anyone have any experience with painting a top in two tone?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What color is your jeep? I did mine myself in 1 day with better quality spray paint (can't remember off the top my head what kind but it was suggested by a body shop owner i know and I remember it being not cheap/per can…maybe $10 or $11 bucks a can and I bought 5 cans. All together the project cost me under $100 bucks.

My jeep is black and mine is also not color match black - it looks like a standard black top, not that paint match look….so this might not help at all if you are looking for color match in an actual color. That I would assume needs a body shop. Did mine at the end of this summer - still looks stick, no peeling/fading etc and we are having a brutal rough winter here in NE with salt and snow and all. Holding up great.

I did all the prep work myself and that took up most of the day (sanding, cleaning, etc) then I did very light coats (which took longer but was well worth it in looking at the finished product.)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local body shop quoted me about $1700...holding off but will probably do it before next winter

Quick Reply: has anyone painted there hard top?