Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Harbor freight top hoist

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor freight top hoist

Finally installed my Harbor Freight Hoist in the garage to take the top off. Scored the hoist from a buddy at work for FREE.
Question is what should I use to mount to the jeep top to remove it. Just use straps or fabricate something. Definitely not buying one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20120415_133752.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	304781  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need one of these!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen another thread on this and people were fabricating a lift out of pvc with the foam insulation around it to protect the paint. Looked pretty easy, if i can find the link i'll post it
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet score. Wish I had a buddy like that.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same winch i use ratchet tie down strap lenght wise under the top between the rear window near the hinge to the front there are two cut out spots on the front edge of the top the strap fit in these spots and hold them in place perfectly .

I also added 4 hooks with chains at each corner with some clips to hook up to a 3/4 in plywood with eyehooks then lower the top down on it to store over the summer it great also put the two panels up there and screw down all together. With the plywood hook one side up first then just walk under it to the other side.

Last edited by JK RUBI REDROCK; 04-16-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

I'm actually fixing to build a spreader bar to set on top of the jeep top (aggressively overpadded, I might add) with eye-bolts on each corner to run a pair of ratchet straps through going under the top just above the rear window.

Since I dont have a picture, imagine the shape of the letter "H."

Now imagine an eye-bolt on each of the 4 corners of the "H"

The bar in the middle of the "H" is 34", and the two legs of the "H" are 39-1/2" each.

the H will sit on top of the jeep with the legs of the H running parallel to the side windows. A ratchet strap will go thru each pair of eye-bolts (1 strap on left side, 1 strap on right side) and will go under the top securing the top to the H.

The H can then be lifted by a well-placed lifting eye (very important to find the balance point before you attach your lifting eye).

I plan to build this spreader bar out of square tubing, but if you do not have access to a welder or metal work tools, you might be able to make it out of some sturdy lumber.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK RUBI REDROCK
I have the same winch i use ratchet tie down strap lenght wise under the top between the rear window near the hinge to the front there are two cut out spots on the front edge of the top the strap fit in these spots and hold them in place perfectly .

I also added 4 hooks with chains at each corner with some clips to hook up to a 3/4 in plywood with eyehooks then lower the top down on it to store over the summer it great also put the two panels up there and screw down all together. With the plywood hook one side up first then just walk under it to the other side.
Can you post some pics. I was thinking about using straps and making a shelf as well. The straps sounds the cheapest way and not to overkill. I mean really how far do I really lift the top. 6 inches up hahahhaah.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 10' piece of 13/16 galvanized strut a 3 hole T bracket and 3 bike hooks. Basically made a capital T put the hooks through one of the pre drilled holes in the strut use a washer and nut to hold in place. I also used an eye loop that threaded about half way down the T and connected the winch to it. Works like a charm.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK RUBI REDROCK

How did you attach the straps to the hoist hook?

Quick Reply: Harbor freight top hoist