Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Harbor Freight Compressor Install

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harbor Freight Compressor Install

Well, I finally got around to installing my HF portable compressor in the engine compartment . I used the JeepSwag Compressor Mount. Easy to install had to do some minor trimming of the bracket and a little bending of the a/c hard line to fit the bracket and compressor without any worries of rubbing. Other than that I removed the alligator clamps on the end of the wiring and wired in and inline fuse, relay, and switch on my daystar panel. Let me know what yall think

Here are some pics, one you can see my hand to show gap between a/c line and compressor
By the way it is wired to the blue switch with the "X" overlay:

Last edited by jason0341; 04-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love it... harbor freight stuffs kinda cheap id be scared it would catch fire..
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

I highly dought it would catch fire. Nice install
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had one of these compressors and it lasted longer tan the smittybuilt one I bought from 4wheel parts
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice work !
Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome - Looks Great!

Harbor Freight has these on sale for $59 right now. Print out the online 20% coupon, and you've got a great compressor for $47. What a deal.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd be nervous mounting this under the hood. I use the exact same compressor and it has worked well enough thus far, but it is well known that some of these units overheat easily. I can just imagine with the heat coming off the engine and the heat from this thing running, bad things happening. I have personally not had a problem but a buddy on here has the older model air compressor and it does it everytime you try to air up after a run. Key word being "try." The install looks great, just be careful...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
love it... harbor freight stuffs kinda cheap id be scared it would catch fire..
Never had a problem with anything from there, knck on wood My 2.5 ton floor jack is from there too. Anyways it usually runs $79.99 so not that cheap, I got it on sale with a extra 20% off too for $54. This thing fills the tires like a beast too.

Originally Posted by joneszj
I'd be nervous mounting this under the hood. I use the exact same compressor and it has worked well enough thus far, but it is well known that some of these units overheat easily. I can just imagine with the heat coming off the engine and the heat from this thing running, bad things happening. I have personally not had a problem but a buddy on here has the older model air compressor and it does it everytime you try to air up after a run. Key word being "try." The install looks great, just be careful...
I will be careful, I have used this thing a good bit so far and no issues. What's the big difference between this one and say a viiar, minus the $200 plus bones? It has a built in fuse to kill if it overheats. Not using it to run lockers or anything only to refill tires and and stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I've been thinking about doing something like that as well with the JeepSwag bracket! Thanks for the write up...does the engine bay temps have any adverse affect on the compressor performance?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Nice install. Looks good

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Compressor Install