Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Handgun storage in the Jeep.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put all that in my jeeps locked gas cap HAHAAHAHAHA
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

You mean im not supposed to carry my gun at the bank??? I just throw mine in the console and lock it when doors and top are off. I live in a small town kinda Mayberry like..
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like that box but if any perp sees that in your jeep they will assume its a gun locker, its the perfect size? I would put it in the trunk in the storage compartment. did i miss where you bought it from? i want one
Old 01-29-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally if I need to leave my concealed carry piece in the Jeep I just throw it in the center console and lock it. Combined with the hard-top its enough to keep me comfortable. When I take the top off this summer I'm guessing I'll try to think ahead enough to just not carry it if I know I'll be going somewhere that I can't keep it on my belt when I'm not in the Jeep.

But my suggestion for where to put your box is just to make sure its well hidden where you decide to put it (maybe strapped to something steel and hidden somewhere like under the compartment in the trunk?). Even with the cable on it, all it takes is a hack saw and it would be gone in 10 seconds. Trust me my bike cable (a HALF inch thick) got stuck on my bike one day. Using a hack saw I got it off my bike in about 20 seconds of sawing. So definitely combine the security of the box and cable with "out of sight, out of mind"
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

One concern I have it that is I have the top down doors off, will the box and the gun heat get too hot if it's baking in the summer son? For those who store in their Jeep, how are the temps when you get back?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you'll find that ammunition is supprisingly hard to set off. If ammo were as temperature sensitive as you're worried about then all our boys in the sand box would be constantly worried about exploding at any minute because it's FAR hotter over there than it is here.

Ammo can be set off by heat through a process generally refered to as "cooking off". This usually happens when a vehicle carrying large supplies of ammo (ie military vehicles) are set on fire. Usually either by having their fuel tanks set on fire or an explosion. Were talking a couple hundred degrees. Ammo in a Jeep will be just fine.

As far as where to keep a piece, I generally throw my KelTec P3AT or my Tarus Millenium pro in my center console and lock it up. I plan to get a Tuffy console later but they are, as previously mentioned, EXPENSIVE.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ammo going off due to high temps shouldn't be a problem. The only time Ive ever seen ammo go off without the primer being hit was when we were abusing an SKS assault rifle one day and the chamber/barrel was in excess of 300 degrees F before rounds would occasionally cook off. We would always unload and let it cool down at that point
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone figure out a possible solution?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

your rounds will not "cook" off in the lock box. I never had one cook off on my M16 and I have done many mag dumps and I'm sure the barrel got a lot hotter than the gun would in the lock box.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Where?

What brand is this and where did you purchase it from?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Handgun storage in the Jeep.