Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Handgun storage in the Jeep.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handgun storage in the Jeep.

One of my concerns with buying a vehicle where the top and doors would be off most of the year, was secure storage.

Here in NC, there are a list of places where you are not allowed to carry a concealed handgun and for those times, I wanted a way to secure a handgun while I went about my business (In the bank, etc)

After searching around, I found a lockbox that fits the bill, and for $25, the price was attractive.

This arrived yesterday. It is a sturdy steel box and comes with a cable you can use to secure it to a stationary object. It also has pre-drilled holes in the bottom so it can be bolted down (my choice...)

As you can see, you can easily fit my G30 with extended G21 Magazine, so it would easily fit a full sized G21, 1911 or most other popular autoloaders. It will also fit a 5-shot revolver, though my 6-shots are too large to close it without stressing the locking mechanism.

Now I just have to find the perfect spot for it in the Jeep!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious if you are going to keep it locked up all the time? Kinda makes it pointless to carry if you are going to keep it in a locked box.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sam30540
Just curious if you are going to keep it locked up all the time? Kinda makes it pointless to carry if you are going to keep it in a locked box.
No, just when I have to go into the bank, or a federal building etc.

It will be useful for storing my registration, insurance, travelers checks... whatever you want to protect and don't want to trust to the cheap lock on the glove box.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Pretty cool - maybe mount the box under the driver side seat somehow?

I just throw my snub-nosed revolver in the center console and lock it when I leave the vehicle. I have a hard top and the lock on the center console seems OK to me for now.

I'm sure if someone really wanted it they would get it one way or another - break the window, smash the plastic lid on the console, etc. but it's that way with anything. If someone wants it bad enough - they'll get it. Just need to do as much as possible to prevent it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am more concerned with all the time the top and doors are off!

Yeah, the center console is better than the glove box, but just a little.... this sucker is steel and if it is hidden, it should help (or at least, that is the plan.... )
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have that exact same box on my night stand (I have small kids) only difference is it has a 3 digit combination lock. In the jeep I just keep my handgun in the glove box since I have a hardtop.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Please keep us posted where you mount this up in the Jeep.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just toss mine in the console with whatever. lol. I have never seen a G30 with a G21 mag before. Pretty slick. I keep a G21 in the Jeep. We call it "Sally"
Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I just toss mine in the console with whatever. lol. I have never seen a G30 with a G21 mag before. Pretty slick. I keep a G21 in the Jeep. We call it "Sally"
They fit and fire just perfectly... A&G makes the little sleeves that cover the extended portion of the mag. You can carry and fire it no issues without the sleeves, but they do make it more comfortable. I have 4 sleeved mags.

I have a dozen non-sleeved mags for my G21 and it is nice that you can carry a backup that uses the same mag.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

tuffy console and glovebox with matching locks.

Quick Reply: Handgun storage in the Jeep.