Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Got my "man tires"

Old 02-05-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving around on these things for nearly a week now and here's the skinny on a fat 33" tire on stock steelies on a slightly modified suspension. If anyone missed it, I have NO LIFT. Only Unlimited Rubi springs & shocks that achieve approx 1.5" lift. Apologies if any of this has been repeated here, I know much of it has been said already elsewhere but want to keep this thread relevant

That said:

These tires ride great! Nice and quiet. I've figured out the right PSI and it's 30 in the back and 32 in the front to get a nice even contact pattern. Cornering is a bit wobbly with the narrow 7" rims. (not unexpected, they bulge a good bit) I have the 3.21 gears and was mildly concerned about acceleration loss but it's managable. From a stop it's a bit sluggish but not unbearable and easily compensated for with a slightly heavier foot. 6th gear is useless below 65mph and RPM's are such that I have dropped a gear. IE, used to do 45 in 4th, now 45 is in 3rd with a slightly higher RPM. Yesterday doing 70 in 6th, RPM's were 2K. Oh and 70 is my new "comfortable" high limit. Things can get pretty squirley doing 80 in a 2 door on 33's

Steering stabilizer upgrade is a MUST. The stocker is simply not up to the task. The ride home from the tire store was exciting to say the least. No need for high dollar either. Go to your local parts store and get a Monroe Heavy Duty 4X4 stabilizer for $25. If you want the part number, PM me, I don't have it with me at the moment. I found one that bolted right up by measuring the stabilizer at full extension and went through a bunch of em at the parts store until we found one that matched. The length was 19" BTW. I also had to trim about a 1/4" off the U bolt bracket at the lip and U bolt ends as it hit at full turn due to the larger diameter of the Monroe stabilizer. Here's some pics:

The trim job

Damage prior to trim job

Oh speaking of trimming, also trimmed the pinch welds and rails in the back. Might not have been neccessary but like I always say, better safe than a shredded tire.

I haven't fully ran it through its paces off road yet but I have ran through a little fun spot and experienced no rubbing under some pretty good articulation. I do believe that the heavier 4 door springs limit "stuff" to the point of rubbing the inner fenders The only place I rub is the front inner side lugs rub on the sway bar at full turn. This is what that looks like, not bad at all if you ask me
Right side

Left side

I'm debating either small spacers or mildly offset wheels but would really rather not on either one. I really don't like the fact that pushing those big tires out creates stresses on bearings, etc that they were not designed to handle. We'll see how she does off road on a long trail ride.

Thanks to everyone for input and opinions, especially on the directional issue. (Which has been resolved, these are NOT directional)

Peace
Old 02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

jeez can't we all just get along. the concern over directional or non directional was a valid concern IMO. I don't know about everybody else but tires are not exactly cheep. Just trying to seek the collective wisdom on this site to help clear up some confusion.
here is what some one at pro comp said:

Thank you for your inquiry on the extreme A/T tires.

This is a trick question because we do offer a few that are NOT directional
and the rest are. You did not give me the exact size, I could tell you if
you supply me with the exact tire size.

Thank you

Steve Sakurai
Pro Comp Tire & Wheel co

Unfortunately I'm not an expert in all terain tires sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rkice14
jeez can't we all just get along. the concern over directional or non directional was a valid concern IMO. I don't know about everybody else but tires are not exactly cheep. Just trying to seek the collective wisdom on this site to help clear up some confusion.
here is what some one at pro comp said:

Thank you for your inquiry on the extreme A/T tires.

This is a trick question because we do offer a few that are NOT directional
and the rest are. You did not give me the exact size, I could tell you if
you supply me with the exact tire size.

Thank you

Steve Sakurai
Pro Comp Tire & Wheel co

Unfortunately I'm not an expert in all terain tires sorry if I offended anyone.
Hey brother, no offense here!

That response from ProComp is the nail in the coffin. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's cool, your jeep does look awesome

Quick Reply: Got my "man tires"