Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Got My Hardtop Painted

Old 10-25-2009, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got My Hardtop Painted

yellow08rubicon found a guy who would paint match my top for a decent price over here in Germany. It cost me 400 Euros, it took the guy forever to do it, but it came out better than I expected. I had him leave it rough textured so it would still look like a removable panel. I was a little worried about it looking like a Hummer or a Cherokee, but I think it came out looking great and it doesn't look like anything other than a JK with a painted top. Here are some picts, what do you think?

the lines there on the picture from the top, is just condensation. It was getting cold while I was out taking the photos.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

no pics to be found...
Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I posted the picts with the thread, they are showing up on my computer, maybe there is something wrong. I'll check on my other computer.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 AM
wdw
JK Enthusiast

The top looks great.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good.

he didnt sand down the texture on the top though!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Doesn't look like it matches up right.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

very nice!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what you mean about having look like a removable top. I am going to paint mine also when it gets scratched up enough, but I haven't decided if a going to color match exactly, or go with a very slightly darker color.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but did you paint with full gloss paint or is it a bit flat?

Either way it looks very good!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

The pictures may not be doing it justice. The paint matches perfect. He used the paint code from the doorjam label to mix up the paint. I didn't want it sanded smooth. I wanted it rough. Think of how different and old K5 Blazer with the rough fiberglass top looks compared to a later Blazer with the non-removable sheetmetal body, totally different. The older ones just looked better! I wanted it look different from the body material. It is really glossy in person, I think that the roughness is making it look flat in the pictures. He said he used a a few coats of clear on it. Another reason I didn't want it sanded smooth is beacuse I am not very gentile with the hard top or the freedom panels, so I figured if it was rough I wouldn't be so worried about scratching it up. Thanks for checking it out, and thanks for the praise and criticism.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Your Jeep looks awesome. I love the painted top.

Quick Reply: Got My Hardtop Painted