Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Got my canoe rack done

Old 03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arjflyr
I had a TopFive Rack on my TJ to carry my canoe, and intended to get another rack for my JK. But after looking at what is out there, and how much they cost, I decided to find another way to haul the canoe. I saw some of the other posts using the Yakima Dry Dock in the back. I liked the idea and just needed to figure out what to do about the front. After keeping an eye on Craigslist, I was able to pick up a new in box Dry Dock for $100. Taking a look at the way the cross bar mounted on the Dry Dock, I figured I could do the same thing up front. I picked up some 1" x 2" steel tube for under $10. Once I got them fit right, I found a place that powder coated them for $20. I already had the Yakima cross bars. It seem very stable, but I have only had it out to a few local lakes.

How are the lights mounted on the front bumper? Do the tabs swivel 90 degrees?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

I just drilled through the front of the bumper. I do not have a winch yet, so I am not sure if I will have to move them once I get one or not.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I love the rack. Way nice. I'm debating too what rack to do for a 2-person kayak.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you insert the bar through the steel tube, what holds it in place?

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I have had a crazy year and have not seen all the questions. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I had the front rack on for most of the summer last year. There is some noise from having it on there, but not bad. The one issue I did have is with the soft top. Because the cross bar sits right over the top of the windshield, the top will not just fold right down. I had to kind of slide it under it. Not sure if that makes sense. The cross bar needs to be just about an inch farther forward, then it wouldn't be an issue. I took the front off for the winter. There was no scratching at all. The only long trip I took with it was up to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota in September. It worked great. No problems, even at 80 mph on the freeway. The crossbars are Yakima, as are the canoe stops. I then just strap it to the bars. I also use a front and rear tie down rope.

I have been very happy with the set up. Total I have maybe $180 into it.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

There is an insert that goes in the end of the tubing. Once you put the cross bar through it, a cam bolt tightens it in place. I got them from Yakima. It is the same ones that were on the uprights for the Yakima Dry Dock I used on the back.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

VERY NICE!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered all the parts today, and hope to have this setup rolling shortly.

Thanks for the input!

Yv
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

What is a god source for the 1" x 2" tubing?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Wow, thats a big canoe, looks good
Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 AM
JK Freak

Good One!!
Originally Posted by mmcan
There's no way that thing will float with a JK attached to it,...

Quick Reply: Got my canoe rack done