Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

got in an accident

Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eternally Grateful

Hey buddy, that hard knock we took to the rear gave you temporary amnesia so I’ll remind you I was in the back and took the brunt of the blow. So please don’t forget to put in about $20,000 for my pain and suffering to pay for what I am having done to my jeep.
Thanks Buddy I will be eternally grateful, GRIZZ
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the damage to her car and your Jeep?
Glad everybody came out alright. She's probably cruisin in a new benz by now anyway.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Had a guy back into my JK the other day. He "only" broke my license plate frame but put a nasty dent in his SUV's rear door. He'd also knocked down a scooter parked ahead of me. I thought he was drunk (at 07:00!) but seemed fine when I talked with him. The deputy (a friend) I was with walked away and I called after him "...aren't you gonna do something?". He replied he was in the wrong uniform (in BDU's headed to gaurd). Told me a couple days later he thought he was drunk too!

17 year old "rear ended" my 540i a few years back. Her first statement was "I've only had my license 2 weeks and this is my third accident!"

TO OP: I would recommend the AEV rear bumper even though it is not as popular as some. It's built strong, is small enough to have great clearances on the trail and my experiences with AEV (I was one of the first with the production rear bumper so there were some minor issues on the install) have been first rate!

Last edited by Fathom; 06-20-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was hit from behind last year and I asked the other person's insurance company if I could get a check so I could go buy an aftermarket bumper. I was told sure, but that the check would be in the amount to bring it back to new condition using Mopar parts, not for the cost of the aftermarket number of my choice. I assumed the job would come in at $1000 or more but the estimate by the body shop came it at about $350 for parts and 30 minutes of labor. I was given the choice of taking the $350 and applying that to an aftermarket bumper or having a body shop replace the factory bumper with a new one. I opted for the latter and went on my merry way.

Of course you have substantially more damage so your estimate will be higher. Plus you can buy a rear bumper and tire carrier combo to replace the factory bumper and tailgate mounted tire carrier. But don't be shocked if the estimate comes in lower than you expected.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
... but the estimate by the body shop came it at about $350 for parts and 30 minutes of labor. ...
The bumper and the spare tire rack retail close to $350-400. That's just the parts, and doesn't include any necessary repair to the tailgate. Even if someone wants the stock parts (instead of an upgrade), it's worth considering taking the cash. You can find a bumper for free here on the forum, and going rate for spare tire carriers is free to $50. That's $300 in your pocket for something else.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
the estimate by the body shop came it at about $350 for parts and 30 minutes of labor.
I found the rear bumper for $177 online and it took me 15' to take it off (about 5 hours to get the aftermarket on right!) so it sounds about right. I wanted to send my OEM rear bumper to a friend in Denver and UPS wanted $125. It's still in my basement!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

The insurance guy just came and gave me an estimate on the following:
Spare Tire Carrier= $255.00
Rear Bumper= $267.00
Trailer Hitch= $146.00
======= Estimate Gross Total on Parts= $668.00
Other Parts= $20.00
Paint Materials= $137.50
======= PARTS AND MATERIAL TOTAL= $825.00
LABOR TOTAL= $708.40
TAX ON TOTAL= $107.38

NET TOTAL= $1,641.28

I didnt think his estimate was that bad, i expected the total to be worse!
Im still gonna get a picture up just to show you guys the damage
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBroadbent
The insurance guy just came and gave me an estimate on the following:
Spare Tire Carrier= $255.00
Rear Bumper= $267.00
Trailer Hitch= $146.00
======= Estimate Gross Total on Parts= $668.00
Other Parts= $20.00
Paint Materials= $137.50
======= PARTS AND MATERIAL TOTAL= $825.00
LABOR TOTAL= $708.40
TAX ON TOTAL= $107.38

NET TOTAL= $1,641.28

I didnt think his estimate was that bad, i expected the total to be worse!
Im still gonna get a picture up just to show you guys the damage

Take the CASH...and buy a new LoD rear bumper/carrier and install yourself and get the body/paint repaired at a good body shop!

Just be sure to get your frame checkout as well!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call up the other persons insurance right now and tell him that you want to have a Depreciated Value Claim done to your vehicle.

Basically now that your Jeep has an accident report on it, it wont sell for much if you try to trade it in or sell it to someone else. It aint clean. Basically you can get another Grand or so out of the accident by filing for this to recoup some of the losses you have received now that your vehicle has that nasty Car"FOX" report.

I was in an accident a couple months back. Lady ran a red light and Tboned me. Did minor damage to me but I got an addition 1250 bucks out of the whole thing for Depreciated value. (I spent that money on new wheels for my Jeep as seen in the Show and Tell Section hehehehe)

Make sure you file for this right away!!!!

PS - You will get something out of it. Dont accept the first offer, make the adjuster go to their "manager" who will then come back with an extra bit in the pot. Fight a bit for it. A lot of people dont even know you can file for this with Insurance companies. They of course wont ask you if you are going to file for this and they cross their fingers people remain clueless about this way to get more money from an accident. And you have all right to demand for recompenses!

Last edited by Rawb77; 06-28-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

yea.. I got hit from behind on 895 in Baltimore at about 35 when traffic came to a stop.

Paint on my muffler and a few scratches on the underside of my bumper...

The Honda front end was TRASHED when it took off. Didn't get the plate.. but I did see the hood flip up and smash into the windshield...

Jeep - 1
Honda - 0

Mr.Bunny

Quick Reply: got in an accident